CCKc4 is a Koch-backed 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, which means that it can legally funnel up to half of its spending into political campaigning. According to its IRS filings, the organization’s purpose is to support “principled based organizations that empower people to realize their potential.” The organization is run by Charles Koch’s son, Charles Chase Koch, after whom the nonprofit is named. The nonprofit was founded in 2018, though at that time it was named CAKC4, Inc. The name was changed to CCKc4 in 2019. Chase Koch is the president of Koch Disruptive Technologies (KDT), the venture capital subsidiary of Koch Industries.
It was reported in 2023 that Charles Koch had quietly transferred $5.3 billion of his conglomerate’s nonvoting stock to CCKc4 and another of his nonprofits, called Believe in People. In 2020, Koch had donated $975 million of his company stock to CCKc4. Most of CCKc4’s money has gone to funding Stand Together, Koch’s dark-money network, according to reporting by Forbes. The Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) reported CCKc4’s giant cash injection in 2022. Like many “social welfare” nonprofits, CCKc4 funnels vast sums of dark money through donor advised funds like the National Philanthropic Trust to hide its financial transactions.
- Chase Koch Foundation, Inc.
- Koch Family Foundation, Inc.
- Charles Koch Institute
- Stand Together Fellowships
- Stand Together Trust
- Stand Together Foundation
- Knowledge and Progress Fund, Inc.
- Believe in People, Inc.
- Charles Koch Charitable Fund
- STVL3, LLC
- Non-Profit 1888 Feeder Fund, LLC
- MBM Center, Inc.
- TSN Institute, Inc.
- Capital Leaders, Inc.
- EFPRP Investments LLC
- John Quincy Adams Society
Charles Koch is the right-wing billionaire owner of Koch Industries. As one of the richest people in the world, he is a key funder of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on Charles Koch and his late brother David include: Koch Brothers, Americans for Prosperity, Stand Together Chamber of Commerce, Stand Together, Koch Family Foundations, Koch Universities, and I360.
CCkc4 has made $107,500,000 in contributions to various organizations between 2018 and 2021, as disclosed on their IRS filings. Listed below are the grant recipients.
As reported on its 2021 IRS 990 Filing, a total of $85,000,000 in grants was distributed.
- Stand Together: $85,000,000
As reported on its 2020 IRS 990 Filing, a total of $12,500,000 in grants was distributed.
- National Philanthropic Trust: $12,500,000
As reported on its 2019 IRS 990 Filing, a total of $10,000,000 in grants was distributed.
- Charles Koch Foundation: $10,000,000
As reported on its 2018 IRS 990 Filing, CCKc4 did not distribute any grants.
As reported on CCKc4’s IRS 990 filings:
- Total Revenue: $69,570,660
- Total Expenses: $98,630,671
- Net Assets: $1,278,082,464
- Total Revenue: $1,246,385,728
- Total Expenses: $15,735,697
- Net Assets: $1,259,204,996
- Total Revenue: $8,937,270
- Total Expenses: $10,324,041
- Net Assets: $37,142,000
- Total Revenue: $37,543,368
- Total Expenses: $10,810
- Net Assets: $37,532,558
Current and only personnel, as of 2021 IRS Filing:
- Charles Chase Koch, Director, President, Secretary, and Treasurer
Employer Identification Number:
4111 E. 37th St. N.
Wichita, KS 67220
Resources and Articles
- CAKc4 Inc, Application for Recognition of Exemption 2018, Accessed October 18, 2023.
- Matt Durot, Exclusive: Charles Koch Has Given More Than $5 Billion Of His Stock To Two Nonprofits, Forbes, October 10, 2023.
- Connor Gibson and Arn Pearson, Son of a Koch: $1.2 Billion Infusion Into Chase Koch’s Dark Money Group Suggests Political Ambitions, "ExposedbyCMD", August 9, 2022.
- Connor Gibson, Koch Spending to Influence Policy and Politics Eclipses Charitable Giving, "ExposedbyCMD", April 12, 2023.
- CCKc4, IRS 2021 990 Filing, Accessed October 18, 2023.
- CCKc4, IRS 2020 990 Filing, Accessed October 18, 2023.
- CCKc4, IRS 2019 990 Filing, Accessed October 20, 2023.
- CCKc4, IRS 2018 990 Filing, Accessed October 20, 2023.