graphic position=top | background=FFF | border=BA2725 | image=/images/a/aa/Coalswarm_badge.gif | width=216 | height=60 | title=Portal:Coal Issues | link=http://coalswarm.org |text=This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.}}
Cahokia Terminal is a terminal located in Sauget, Illinois. The terminal handles coal.
The terminal is located along the Mississippi River, at mile marker 178.2
The terminal is spread over 84 acres near the Mississippi River. Bulk materials handled include coal, chemicals, cement, and steel.
Sightline Institute reports "track record of pollution, lawbreaking, and cover-ups" at Kinder Morgan facilities
An April 2012 report by the environmental think tank Sightline Institute, "The Facts about Kinder Morgan," , lists a series of legal violations and pollution incidents at various Kinder Morgan terminals. The report includes the following:
- "In Louisiana, Kinder Morgan’s coal export facilities are so dirty that satellite photos clearly show coal dust pollution spewing into the Mississippi River."
- "In South Carolina, coal dust from Kinder Morgan’s terminal contaminates oysters, pilings, and boats. Locals have even caught the company on video washing coal directly into sensitive waterways."
- "In Virginia, Kinder Morgan’s coal export terminal is an open sore on the neighborhood, coating nearby homes in dust so frequently that even the mayor is speaking out about the problem."
- "In Portland, Kinder Morgan officials bribed a ship captain to illegally dump contaminated material at sea, and their operations have repeatedly polluted the Willamette River."
- "Kinder Morgan has been fined by the US government for stealing coal from customer’s stockpiles, lying to air pollution regulators, illegally mixing hazardous waste into gasoline, and many other crimes."
- "Kinder Morgan’s pipelines are plagued by leaks and explosions, including two large dangerous spills in residential neighborhoods in British Columbia."
Articles and resources
- "Kinder Morgan Cahokia Terminals - St Clair, Illinois" Kinder Morgan, accessed May 18, 2012.
- "Watco to acquire 20 U.S. bulk terminals from Kinder Morgan," American Shipper, Nov 11, 2016
- Eric de Place, "The Facts about Kinder Morgan," Sightline Institute, April 2012