- External Advisory Board, Earth Institute
- Advisory Board, Stockholm Challenge
- Chair, Volvo (since April 2012) 
Comments as head of BP
Svanberg became famous for offending citizens of the Gulf Coast affected by BP's catastrophic Deepwater Horizon oil disaster when he said,"I hear comments sometimes that large oil companies are greedy companies or don't care. But that is not the case indeed. We care about the small people."
CEO of Sony Ericsson
Prior to his position with BP, Svanberg was Chief Executive Officer and President of the Ericsson Group, a major provider of telecommunications related services to mobile and fixed network operators. Ericsson is a supplier of mobile communications technologies and broadband. Ericsson works in 175 countries, has more than 75,000 employees and generated a revenue of USD 27.9 billion (SEK 188 billion) in 2007. Ericsson is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. Svanberg joined Ericsson in April 2003.
Svanberg was a member of the Steering Committee of The Global Alliance for Information and Communication Technologies and Development (GAID)." 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- BP BP Selects New Chairman to Succeed Peter Sutherland, Press release, June 25, 2009
- Volvo Board, organizational web page, accessed July 5, 2012.
- Ann Gerhart[ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/16/AR2010061605528.html BP chairman talks about the 'small people,' further angering gulf] Washington Post, June 17, 2010
- [http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles /view/1006 Advisory Board], Earth Institute, accessed August 5, 2009.