|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
"A native of northern New Jersey, Cory Booker's passion for politics and justice was instilled at an early age by a family committed to change. His parents successfully fought against racial discrimination and shattered corporate ceilings, inspiring him to pursue a life of breaking barriers and working for change. On May 9, 2006, Cory Booker was elected Mayor of Newark, with a landslide victory in the Newark Mayoral race.
"While a varsity football player and class president at Stanford University, Booker ran a local crisis hotline and organized programs for city youth in East Palo Alto, California. As a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University, Booker made headlines through his friendship with then-Lubavitcher Rabbi Schmuley Boteach. Their friendship, and Booker's leadership of the L'Chaim Society, was a powerful example of Booker's strong belief in the strength of diversity and the tremendous possibilities that result when people move beyond simple racial, ethnic and religious tolerance." 
American Israel Public Affairs Committee
MJ Rosenberg, a former American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), official and current commentator/journalist, writes about three black American Democrat politicians who have opted to oppose Barack Obama. Rosenberg outlines the history of these politicians, and states:
- Booker is a true believer, involved with Israel and AIPAC since his early 20's, in large part due to his close friendship with ultra-Orthodox Rabbi Shmuely Boteach. Boteach is a right-wing Republican who is currently running as such for Congress in New Jersey. Here is a video of the two together at an AIPAC fundraiser. Boteach's description of Booker's involvement with Israel is extraordinary.
And MJ summarizes:
- The bottom line is that [Cory] Booker, [Artur] Davis and [Harold] Ford are Democrats with an asterisk. And the asterisk is AIPAC. That is why it is those three who are attacking Obama while every member of the House Black Caucus are out there backing Obama with all they have.
- Director, Black Alliance for Educational Options
- Director, Alliance for School Choice 
- Advisory Board, Democrats for Education Reform 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Cory Booker, affiliatesummit, accessed September 19, 2008.
- MJ Rosenberg, Coincidence? The Three Black Officials Breaking With Obama Are All AIPAC, MJ's blog, 22 May 2012.
- Directors, Alliance for School Choice, accessed September 19, 2008.
- Advisory Board, Democrats for Education Reform, accessed March 31, 2011.