David Bartlett is the Premier of Tasmania as well as the Minister for Education and Skills, Minister for Workplace Relations and and Minister for Planning. He is a member for the seat of Denison.
David Bartlett on Forests and Carbon
At his inaugural press conference as Premier, Bartlett suggested that he was open-minded on the possibility that there could be a re-appraisal of areas scheduled for logging and the role of old-forests as carbon stores."These are very complex things - and not things I'm prepared to put a stake in the ground about right now until I have all the data before me," he said. "I'll be doing that in the coming months ... The point is that I believe we need to innovate in all our traditional industries."
Subsequently, Bartlett stated that he was not willing to see substantial changes in the reservation of forests. "While many of the parameters around forestry are subject to change over time, I do not see the amount of protected land being one of them," he said.
95 Main Road,
Moonah TAS 7009
Phone: (03) 6233 2530
Email: david.bartlett AT parliament.tas.gov.au
Articles and Resources
- Matthew Denholm, "Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett in backflip on forest policy", The Australian, June 14, 2008.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- David Bartlett's 'Strengthening trust in democracy' plan
- David Bartlett on the 2010 Tasmanian state election
- David Bartlett's 2009/2010 State Budget
- Demographic Change Advisory Council
- Tasmanian government departments and agencies
- Tasmanian politics 2008
- Tasmanian politics 2009
- Vandalism of John Gay's house
Biographical Notes and Profiles
- "David Bartlett Profile", accessed May 2008.
- Airlie Ward, "David Bartlett", Stateline, ABC TV, April 18, 2008.
- Matthew Denholm, "In at the deep end", The Australian, May 10, 2008.
- Michael Stedman, "Bartlett's 'clever and kind' vow" The Mercury, May 27, 2008.
Media Releases on School Closures
- David Bartlett, 'Demographic change impact on schools", Media Release, April 24, 2008.
- Michael Stedman, "Labor's ear to ground again", The Mercury, June 10, 2008.
- Matthew Denholm, "Don't pine for old-growth forests, says Bartlett", The Australian, October 21, 2008.
- Sally Glaetzer, "Bartlett spruiks bay benefits" The Mercury, January 23, 2009.
- Michael Stedman, "Ralphs Bay row erupts", The Mercury, January 24, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|