He was born in 1956 and educated at Eton (1969-1974) and York University (1976-79, first in history and politics). He worked on the Yorkshire Evening Press (1979-1982) then the Financial Times (1982-1994) as a labour correspondent, city reporter, Lex columnist, Germany correspondent and employment editor.He is married to FT columnist and author Lucy Kellaway; they have four children and live in north London.
David Goodhart is the Editor-at-large of Prospect magazine, launched in 1995. powerbase In December, 2011, David Goodhart started as director of the London based think tank Demos. David is the Chair of Demos's Advisory Group.
- Social Market Foundation
- Ditchley Foundation, member
- Centre for Social Cohesion
- Quilliam Foundation advisor
- Eddie Shah and the Newspaper Revolution (with Patrick Wintour)(Coronet, 1986)
- Making the City Work (with Charles Grant)(Fabian pamphlet, 1987)
- The Reshaping of the German Social Market (IPPR pamphlet, 1994)
- Thinking Allowed, The Best of Prospect Magazine 1995-2005, edited and with an introduction by David Goodhart (Atlantic Books, 2005)
- The British Dream: successes and failures of post-war immigration (Atlantic Books, 2013) review
- Jonathan Portes, An Exercise in Scapegoating, London Review of Books, 20 June 2013.
- Hannah Sell, "Labour and the ‘immigration debate’", Socialism Today, 178 - May 2014.