Senator Eric Abetz represent the state of Tasmania in the Australian Senate. He was first elected in February 1994 to fill a casual Senate vacancy and has subsequently been re-elected in 1998 and 2004.  He was the Minister for Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation during the Howard government and is currently the Minister for Education the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Public Service.
Abetz is noted for his hostility to environmental groups, particularly on the issue of the logging of Tasmania's native forests. 
His brother Peter Abetz is a member of the Western Australian parliament, and his uncle Otto Von Abets was a Nazi war criminal.
- Ministerial website:
- Personal website: http://www.abetz.com.au/
136 Davey Street, Hobart
GPO Box 1675,
Hobart TAS 7001
Phone: 03 6224 3707
Fax: 03 6224 3709
Toll-free: 1300 132 493
MG 50, Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: 02 6277 7600
Fax: 02 6273 4541
Email: senator.abetz AT aph.gov.au
- "Eric Abetz Biography", undated, accessed June 2006.
- Eric Abetz, "Electoral reform: making our democracy fairer for all", Speech to The Sydney Institute, October 4, 2005.
- Eric Abetz, "Greens action akin to environmental treason", Media Release, May 27th, 2006.
- Eric Abetz, "Speech to Timber Communities Australia Annual Conference", Canberra, May 27, 2006.
- Biography at Beware of the God
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|