Gary L. Bauer founded the Campaign for Working Families CWF) in 1996 to "represent the interests and values of America's traditional families in the political arena. CWF is a "non-partisan political action committee (PAC) dedicated to electing pro-family, pro-life and pro-free enterprise candidates to federal and state offices."
In 2000, Bauer was a presidential candidate. He served as President of the Family Research Council. "Prior to joining FRC, Bauer served in President Ronald Reagan's Administration for eight years, during the last two years as President Reagan's Chief Domestic Policy Advisor."
"In the final days of the 2000 campaign, CWF spent tens of thousands of dollars on a massive 12-state Get-Out-The-Vote drive on behalf of George Walker Bush and Republican candidates down the ballot."
"Previously, Bauer was under Secretary of Education beginning in July 1985, when he was confirmed by unanimous vote in the U.S. Senate. While serving at the Education Department, Bauer was named Chairman of President Reagan's Special Working Group on the Family. His report, "The Family: Preserving America's Future," was presented to the President in December 1986."
- 1 Affiliations
- 2 Articles by Gary Bauer
- 3 Resources
- African American Republican Leadership Council : May be on Advisory Council (see citations)
- American Alliance of Jews and Christians : Co-founder, 2002
- American Renewal : Former chairman
- American Values : Founder, President
- Arlington Group
- Beliefnet : Columnist
- Campaign for Working Families : Co-founder, Chairman
- Christians United for Israel
- Council for National Policy : Member
- Family Research Council : President, 1988-1999
- Focus on the Family : Vice President, 1988-1992
- Foundation for the Defense of Democracies : Board of Advisers
- Project for the New American Century : Signatory to founding statement and several others open letters
- Republican National Committee : Assistant Director of Opposition Research, 1969-1973
- Reagan-Bush Committee : Senior Policy Analyst
- Member, Save Iraqi Christians 
- Emergency Committee for Israel :Director 
- Reagan administration : Director, Office of Policy Development, 1987-1988; Deputy Assistant Director for Legal Policy, Office of Policy Development, 1982; Policy Analyst, Office of Policy Development, 1981-1982
- President's Special Working Group on the Family : Chair, 1986
- U.S. Department of Education : Under Secretary of Education, 1985-1987; Deputy Under Secretary for Planning and Budget, 1982-1985
- Office of President-elect Ronald Reagan : Assistant Director for Policy/Community Services Administration, 1981
Corporate connections/business interests
- Direct Mail Marketing Association : Director of Government Relations, 1976-1980; Deputy Director of Government Relations, 1973-1976
Articles by Gary Bauer
- "Frenzy Over Abu Ghraib," Concerned Women for America, May 12, 2004.
- "It’s Too Early for Third Party Talk," Human Events Online, October 5, 2007.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Citizens for the Republic
- Federal Marriage Amendment
- Forgotten Americans Coalition
- Religious Right
- The Bush Theocracy
- traditional family values
- Archived articles on Gary Bauer, Media Matters for America.
- Archived articles on Gary L. Bauer, New York Times.
- Anthony York, "Bauer denies adultery reports. The GOP presidential candidate schedules a Wednesday press conference to refute the new rumors swirling around his campaign," Salon, September 28, 1999.
- Jake Tapper, "Bauer: I am not a slut! Only God knows why the GOP hopeful called a press conference to deny he's having an affair with a pretty staff member," Salon, September 29, 1999.
- William Saletan, "Gary Bauer's Moral Dilemma," MotherJones, July/August 1998.
- William Saletan, "The Gary Bauer Scandal," Slate, October 1, 1999.
- Susan Crabtree, "Bauer is reborn -- as a feminist! The Christian rightist's presidential candidacy was going nowhere fast until he discovered that everyone likes a little sex thrown into the mix -- everyone, that is, except his uptight top aides," Salon, October 1, 1999.
- Campaign Snapshot: Gary Bauer, PBS Online NewsHour, November 4, 1999.
- Susan Crabtree, "The long shot. Gary Bauer talks about why he's running for president," Salon, November 8, 1999.
- "One on One: Gary Bauer," PBS Online NewsHour, November 24, 1999: "Reagan advisor Gary Bauer is running for the Republican Party's presidential nomination. Campaigning on a conservative, religious platform, Bauer believes America has fallen into a moral decline. Margaret Warner discusses with Bauer his message, campaign, and his bid for the White House."
- Jake Tapper, "GOP rivals get nasty at latest debate. With Bush and Bauer sparring over Jesus and McCain fighting charges that he helped a campaign donor, the race for the Republican nomination is heating up," Salon, January 7, 2000.
- Jake Tapper, "Onward, Christian soldiers. Keyes, Bauer and Forbes proselytize at a pro-Jesus, anti-gay rally in Des Moines," Salon, January 24, 2000.
- Dan Savage, "Stalking Gary Bauer. Sex columnist Dan Savage goes undercover, and hatches a plot, inside Bauer 2000 campaign headquarters in Des Moines," Salon, January 25, 2000.
- "The firestorm over 'Stalking Gary Bauer'. Salon readers lash Dan Savage -- or laugh with him," Salon, January 29, 2000.
- James D. Besser, "Bauer Warns Bush. After Saddam capture, threats from conservatives not to back Geneva," The Jewish Week, December 19, 2003.
- "Rise Of The Righteous Army. Evangelical Movement Shapes Culture With 'Left Behind' Series," 60 Minutes/CBS News, February 8, 2004.
- Tim Grieve, "The Kennedy backlash begins. Smarting from the Supreme Court's death penalty decision, Gary Bauer warns the right that Anthony Kennedy is fixing to turn over the United States to foreigners -- including the French!" Salon, March 2, 2005.
- Tim Grieve, "Bauer: America doesn't want another moderate. Oh, and please send money," War Room/Salon, July 1, 2005.
- Tim Grieve, "The Supreme Court perception game. The White House wants you to know that it's pushing back against the religious right on the question of Sandra Day O'Connor's replacement," War Room/Salon, July 6, 2005.
- "The Amazing Revival of Gary Bauer," Right Wing Watch, April 13, 2007.
- The Termite, "Gary Bauer is a booger-eating Moonie," The Daily Kos, September 10, 2007.
- David D. Kirkpatrick, "Giuliani Inspires Threat of a Third-Party Run", The New York Times, October 1, 2007.