Gasoducto del Noreste Argentino Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
Gasoducto del Noreste Argentino Gas Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline in Bolivia and Argentina.
The pipeline runs from Bolivia through Campo Durán, Sáenz Peña, and Vera in Argentina to Santa Fe, Argentina.
- Operator: Enarsa
- Parent Company: Enarsa
- Current capacity:
- Proposed capacity: 10 billion cubic meters per year
- Length: 910 miles / 1,465 km
- Status: Construction
- Start Year: 2019
Gasoducto del Noreste Argentino (also known as the South American Gas Pipeline and GNEA pipeline) will transport natural gas from Bolivia to Argentina. The pipeline is operated and owned by Enarsa. The project was originally announced in 2003, with construction scheduled to start in 2007, and the pipeline scheduled to go online in 2010. In May 2017 it was reported that Enarsa would finish construction of the final 100 km of the pipeline by December 2017 or January 2018. At the same time Enarsa's President Hugo Balboa stated that the company could not guarantee operation of the pipeline in the future due to insufficient demand in the provinces of Formosa and Chaco, Argentina. According to the Union of South American Nations, construction on the pipeline was 90% complete as of September 2017.
In September 2018 the government of Argentina announced that the scope of the pipeline had been scaled back, and that it would not extend beyond the Santo Tomé (Santa Fe) - Bermejo river (Chaco) segment. Among the government's stated reasons for scaling back the project were financial irregularities that occurred during the administration of President Cristina Kirchner, and the possibility of supplying gas from the Vaca Muerta field, which would reduce the need to import gas from Bolivia. In July 2019 it was reported that the pipeline would begin operating in September 2019. The cost of building it has been US2.3 billion, which is double early estimates.
Articles and resources
- Gasoducto del Noreste Argentino, Wikipedia, accessed February 2018
- UPDATE 1-Work on Bolivia-Argentina gas line to start in July, Reuters, Jan. 25, 2008
- La construccion del Gasoducto llega a su fin, Telam, Jun. 5, 2017
- FICHA DE PROYECTO:GASODUCTO DEL NORESTE ARGENTINO, UNASUR, Sep. 29, 2017
- The Northeast Gas Pipeline will not be finished, Pagina 12, Sep. 11, 2018
- Este artículo fue hecho gracias al esfuerzo de trabajo de un periodista profesional. Reconocelos compartiendo esta nota mediante este, El Cronista, Jul. 29, 2019
Related SourceWatch articles
Wikipedia also has an article on Gasoducto del Noreste Argentino Gas Pipeline (GASENE). This article may use content from the Wikipedia article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License].