Golden Pass LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
Golden Pass LNG is an import LNG terminal in Texas, United States. The terminal is moving to export LNG on the Sabine-Neches Waterway near Sabine Pass, Texas.
The Golden Pass LNG Terminal is a joint venture formed by affiliates of three oil and gas companies: Qatar Petroleum (70%), ExxonMobil (17.6%) and ConocoPhillips (12.4%). The terminal was completed in 2009, and is capable of importing approximately 2 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day through its dual berth ship docks.
In October 2012, Qatar’s Golden Pass Products LLC received permission to export liquefied natural gas to nations that have free-trade agreements with the U.S. The partners will make a final decision about the proposed US$10-billion export project after receiving regulatory approvals. The investment would pay for liquefaction plants with 15.6 million metric tons of annual capacity to be added to the existing Golden Pass LNG import terminal in Texas. 
In April 2017 the terminal was cleared by the Department of Energy to begin exporting up to 2.2B cf/day of natural gas. Construction is expected to begin after a final investment decision.
- Owner: Golden Pass LNG Terminal
- Parent: Qatar Petroleum (70%), ExxonMobil (17.6%), ConocoPhillips (12.4%)
- Location: Sabine Pass, Texas, United States
- Coordinates: 30.366324,-81.626135 (exact)
- Capacity: 14 mtpa, 2 bcfd (Import); 15.5 mtpa, 2.2 bcfd (Export)
- Status: Operating (Import), Permitted (Export)
- Type: Import and Export
- Start Year: Import facility 2009
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Articles and resources
- "About Golden Pass LNG Terminal," Golden Pass Terminal, accessed June 2017
- "Qatar, Exxon venture wins first U.S. LNG export permit," Bloomberg News, Oct 4, 2012.
- "FERC sets Golden Pass LNG export project final EIS date," LNG World News, Jun 29, 2015
- "Biggest No Longer Means Best in Qatar's Strategy for LNG Wealth," Mohammed Sergie, Bloomberg News, January 5, 2016.
- "Exxon-Conoco JV Golden Pass LNG approved for natural gas export," Seeking Alpha, Apr. 26, 2017