Prior to joining News Limited in May 2004 he was Executive Vice-President of Corporate Affairs with James Hardie Industries Limited, the controversial building products company which up to 1987 was Australia's major producer of asbestos products.
Baxter was the winner of the "Best investor relations officer" award by IR magazine in 2001, 2002 and 2003 for his work with Hardie..
Announcing his departure James Hardie's CEO, Mr Peter Macdonald said in a media release "he has been a key member of my Group Management Team and has been instrumental in developing the high standards of disclosure and communication for which the company now enjoys a strong reputation."
"In particular, Greg has created a corporate affairs and investor relations capability at James Hardie that has become one of the best of its kind in Australia, " Macdonald wrote.
- James Hardie, "Management change", Media release, March 10, 2004.
- David Jackson, "Report of the Special Commission Into the Medical Research and Compensation Fund", New South Wales Cabinet Office, September 2004.
- Richard Ackland, "Guns are trained on Hardie's messenger", Sydney Morning Herald, September 24, 2004.
- IR Magazine, "Previous Winners", undated, accessed September 2004.
- Elizabeth Sexton, "Spinning out of control", Sydney Morning Herald, February 17, 2007.