Gubin Power Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Poland and coal.|
Gubin Power Project is a proposed new lignite coal mine and a 2,700 to 3,000 megawatt (MW) coal power station in the Gubin area of Poland by state-owned Polska Grupa Energetyczna.
The map below shows Gubin, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
According to PGE's 2012 strategy report, Gubin Power Project will move forward "[if] climate policy allows for economic validity of the project. The project has a proposed commercial operation date of 2030. Project plans include possible extension of the new plant with carbon capture and storage.
According to PGE's 2014 strategy report, the company is seeking the required administrative permits for 860 million tonnes of lignite at the Gubin deposit.
In August 2014, PGE stated that it plans to launch the first investment connected with the construction of a lignite mine in Gubin in 2018. According to the company, construction of a 2,700 - 3,000 MW coal plant would begin in 2025, with completion in 2030.
In August 2016 plans for the lignite strip mine to supply the proposed plant were suspended by an administrative decision of the Regional Directorate for Environmental Protection. The Directorate said there were gaps in the mine plan that undercut the extent of the environmental effects, and called on PGE to remedy the deficiencies. Until then the permitting process is considered suspended. PGE said they plan to continue with the project.
In May 2017 PGE said the decision to move the project forward will be taken after 2020, and said they are considering building a nuclear plant instead of a coal plant.
The planned investment in the Gubin Power Project caused protests among inhabitants of the Gubin and Brody districts. PGE claims the project could displace 2,300 persons.
- Sponsor: PGE
- Parent company:
- Location: Gubin, Lubuskie, Poland
- Coordinates: 51.948982,14.728458 (approximate)
- Status: Announced (decision delayed to after 2020)
- Capacity: 2700 MW - 3000 MW
- Start date: 2030
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Gubin deposit
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Creating value and safe future PGE Group Strategy 2012-2035," PGE, Feb. 2012.
- "2014-2020 PGE Strategy," PGE, accessed August 2014
- "PGE chce uruchomić elektrownię Gubin o mocy 2700-3000 MW w 2030 r." ISBnews, 25 August 2014
- "Plany budowy kopalni odkrywkowej w Gubinie wstrzymane," Greenpeace Poland, Aug 10, 2016
- "PGE: decyzja o budowie elektrowni jądrowej po 2020 roku," Cire, May 15, 2017
- "PGE power plans to launch investment in Gubin lignite mine in 2018," WSE, 5.08.2014