Iwaki power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Japan and coal.|
Iwaki power station was initially proposed as a 112-megawatt (MW) coal- and biomass-fired power station in Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.
In November 2018 plant sponsor Able Company said the plant would be 100% fueled by biomass, amending its initial plan for the plant to be fired by coal with 30% biomass.
The map below shows the city of Iwaki, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
Background on Plant
In March 2015 ABL Co. Ltd. applied for environmental clearance to construct a 112 MW coal-fired power station at Yoshima industrial park in Iwaki City. As of December 2017 the EIS process had been completed and construction was scheduled to begin in April 2018.
The Kiko Network noted that:
- "This 112 MW project was just below the 112.5 MW threshold that would have made it subject to the Environmental Impact Assessment Act, so no assessment was conducted for the national government, although it is still subject to the Environmental Impact Assessment Ordinance of Fukushima Prefecture. Under that ordinance, documentation on the environmental assessment methodology was released in May 2014 and the assessment report in December 2015, and all environmental assessment procedures had been completed. Despite this, there was strong community opposition to the plans for a coal-fired plant, and a critical line of questioning was often heard at Iwaki City Council sessions. Meanwhile, although the prefectural governor did not express strong objections to the project, he did indicate the desire to see a higher ratio of biomass in the fuel mix."
On November 5, 2018 ABL Company submitted revised documentation indicating that the project would be 100 per cent biomass fueled instead of its previous plan of co-firing with coal and 30 per cent biomass. Kiko Network noted that 100 per cent biomass firing still raised "some serious concerns" over pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Sponsor: ABL Energy Godo Corp.
- Parent Company: ABL Energy Godo Corp.
- Location: Yoshima industrial park, Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan
- Coordinates: 37.0505, 140.887722 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled (changed to biomass)
- Gross Capacity: 112 MW
- Projected in service: 2018
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- EIA, March 5, 2015
- いわきエネルギーパーク／(株)エイブル／福島県いわき市 Kiko Network, accessed Dec. 2017
- Kiko Network, "Able Co. switches to biomass only at planned coal-fired power plant in Fukushima", January 24, 2019.