Jack A. Bobo
Jack A. Bobo is the Chief of the Biotechnology and Textile Trade Policy Division and the Senior Advisor for Biotechnology, both at the U.S. State Department. In this role, he works to promote the use and acceptance of genetically modified organisms around the world.
Education and Experience
Bobo graduated from Indiana University in 1989 with a BS and a BA in Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology. He returned to Indiana University in 1992, graduating in 1996 with a Masters in Environmental Science and a law degree (JD). During that time, he also spent a year studying at the Université Paris Sud (Paris XI), where he earned a Certificate of Public Administration in 1993.
After completing his graduate education, Bobo served as a program manager at Integrated Computer Engineering from 1997 until 2000. At that point, he left to become an attorney at the law firm of Crowell & Moring LLP, where he worked between 2000 and 2002. He left in 2002 to begin working for the U.S. State Department as a Senior Advisor for Biotechnology. From 2008 to 2011, he also served as the Executive Producer and General Counsel at ZMP LLC. In March 2011, he became the Chief of the Biotechnology and Textile Trade Policy Division at the U.S. State Department.
According to his LinkedIn page:
- "Jack Bobo is the Chief of the Biotechnology and Textile Trade Policy Division and Senior Advisor for Biotechnology in the Bureau of Economic, Energy and Business Affairs (EEB) at the U.S. Department of State. He works on trade policy, food security, and development issues related to agricultural biotechnology with a regional focus on Asia and Europe.
- "EEB formulates and carries out U.S. foreign economic policy, integrating U.S. economic interests with our foreign policy goals in cooperation with U.S. companies, U.S. Government agencies, and other organizations. The bureau negotiates agreements with foreign governments and advances U.S. positions in such international organizations as the Codex Alimentarius Commission, the International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization. Jack is responsible for developing and implementing U.S. trade policy related to new agricultural technologies and working with foreign governments to address regulatory barriers to U.S. agricultural exports. He also works closely with officials from developing countries to support the development of biosafety legislation and facilitate technology transfer to increase agricultural productivity.
- "Prior to joining the State Department, Jack practiced law at the Washington, D.C. firm of Crowell & Moring, LLP. His education includes a degree in law, a Master of Science in Environmental Science, as well as degrees in chemistry, biology and psychology. Previously, Jack received a research fellowship in international law at Cambridge University, served as an advisor to the President's Information Technology Advisory Committee, and taught science in Mekambo, Gabon in Central Africa as a Peace Corps Volunteer."
State Department Travel Promoting Biotech
- 2005: Vatican
- March 12-13, 2009: Hungary
- March 16-17, 2009: Romania
- Sept 24-Oct 4, 2009: Thailand
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- U.S. State Department Promotion of Agricultural Biotechnology
- Madelyn E. Spirnak
- Marcella B. Szymanski
- USAID Promotion of Agricultural Biotechnology
- Jack A. Bobo, Linkedin.com, Accessed September 3, 2011.
- Vatican: Looking Ahead On Biotech, U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, August 25, 2005, Accessed September 4, 2011.
- Biotech Outreach To Hungary: Visit Of Jack Bobo, March 12-13, 2009, U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, March 19, 2009, Accessed September 4, 2011.
- Romania: Successful Biotech Outreach To New Government Officials, U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, April 6, 2009, Accessed September 4, 2011.
- U.s. Support For Biotechnology Development In Thailand; Still A Tough Row To Hoe, U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, January 14, 2010, Accessed February 21, 2013.
- State Department Outreach Activities on Agricultural Biotechnology, Presentation by Jack A. Bobo.
- Bangkok Proposal: 2009 Ag-biotechnology Outreach Funds, U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, January 15, 2010.
- PRETORIA'S PROPOSAL FOR BIOTECHNOLOGY FUNDS , U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, January 13, 2010.
- FY 2010 BIOTECHNOLOGY OUTREACH FUNDS: TUNISIA PROPOSAL , U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, January 13, 2010.
- Romania: Successful Biotech Outreach To New Government Officials, U.S. State Department cable via Wikileaks, April 6, 2009.
- "Will Agriculture Destroy the World before It Saves It?," Speech by Jack A. Bobo, Oxford University, February 27, 2013.