Joachim von Braun
Joachim von Braun is the Director of University of Bonn's Center for Development Research and a Professor of Economics and Technical Change (also at University of Bonn). From 2002-2009, von Braun was the Director General of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). He has served on the International Food & Agricultural Trade Policy Council since 2007.
- "Joachim von Braun returned to his post at the University of Bonn after serving as Director General of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) from 2002-2009. Under his leadership, IFPRI significantly expanded its teams based in Africa, Asia, and Latin America in response to research challenges and partners' needs. Before coming to IFPRI, von Braun was director of the Center for Development Research (ZEF) and professor of Economics and Technological Change at the University of Bonn. He was also professor of Food Economics and Policy at Kiel University, Germany. He received his doctoral degree in agricultural economics from the University of Goettingen, Germany in 1978. IFPRI is a member of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Within the CGIAR, von Braun has helped to organize the creation of a Global Food and Agriculture University, and chairs a platform on agriculture and health and one that liaises with the private sector. Von Braun serves on the boards of several academic journals, as well as on the international advisory boards of a number of research and policy organizations. From 2000 to 2003 he was president of the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE). He has published research on international development economics topics, including science and technology; on policy issues relating to trade and aid, famine, health, and nutrition; and on a wide range of agricultural economics research issues. von Braun has worked in Sub-Saharan Africa, Central America, Egypt, Russia, and China."
Resources and Articles
Related Sourcewatch Articles
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR)
- International Food & Agricultural Trade Policy Council
- International Food & Agricultural Trade Policy Council, Accessed October 26, 2011.