Joint Vision 2010
In July 1996, the Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff issued Joint Vision 2010 (JV2010), which is defined as "the conceptual template for how we will channel the vitality of our people and leverage technological opportunities to achieve new levels of effectiveness in joint warfighting ... [and calls for] Full Spectrum Dominance" as the key characteristic for the Armed Forces in the 21st century.
Then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest military position in the US Department of Defense, Army General John M. Shalikashvili stated that JV2010 created a operationally-based [i.e., joint operations] template for the evolution of the Armed Forces and success in modern warfare:
- Dominant Maneuver: The multi-dimensional application of information and engagement forces--air, land, sea, and space.
- Precision Engagement.
- Full-dimensional Protection, which means control of the battlespace and mobility capabilities, plus multi-layered defenses for both forces and facilities.
- Focused Logistics.
In May 1997, the Joint Chiefs issued Concept for Future Operations. Expanding Joint Vision 2010 (CFJO). Both JV2010 and CFJO were superceded by Joint Vision 2020. The webpage for this now redirects to the page for "Future Joint Warfare"J7 Joint Force Development and Integration Division (JFDID).
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Joint Vision 2020
- Military-industrial complex
- Pax Americana
- Pax Americana, Africa
- Pax Americana, Paraguay
- Revolution in military affairs (RMA)
- The Revolution in Military Affairs (RMA) Debate. Links for All Source Documents for Total Vision.
- Document Overview of Joint Vision 2010.
- Katherine McIntire Peters, Joint Vision 2010 Still Focusing, GovernmentExec.com, February 1, 1997.
- United States Space Command Vision for 2020, February 1997.
- John T. Correll, The Clash of Visions. The Army argues that it's "boots on the ground," not aircraft and precision strike, that matter most., Air Force Magazine, April 1997.
- Jim Garamone, Joint Vision 2010 needs for stronger CinC voice, Gehman says, Aerotech News and Review, March 21, 2000.
- Dan Verton, Pentagon seeing 2020, Federal Computer Week, June 5, 2000.
- Joab Jackson, The Joint Vision manifestos: Future combat, future contracts, Washington Technology, October 21, 2002.