|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Keith Olbermann hosts the nightly show Countdown on MSNBC.
Olbermann, "in his second tour with MSNBC," "first came to prominence as one of the anchors of ESPN's 'SportsCenter.' He's since been a host for the Fox Sports Network, a radio reporter" and "a columnist for Salon. His latest book, The Worst Person in the World: And 202 Strong Contenders" was released September 15, 2006. 
"Olbermann closes each broadcast with a personal, often acerbic, commentary," Alex Koppelman wrote September 11, 2006, regarding his interview with Olbermann in Salon.
- "In the past two weeks, as the Bush administration launched its pre-election anti-terror public relations blitz, Olbermann upped the ante and cemented his hero status in Left Blogistan with two especially acid speeches. On Aug. 30, he blistered Donald Rumsfeld with a breathtaking on-air screed that called the defense secretary a quack, explicitly compared him to Neville Chamberlain, and implicitly accused him of fascism and McCarthyism. President Bush himself for an 'awful,' 'cynical' and 'un-American' equation of dissent and disloyalty. Olbermann, who usually ends his commentaries with a quote that pays tribute to Edward R. Murrow—'Good night and good luck'—instead closed with a different, and much angrier, echo of the McCarthy era. He asked the president, 'Have you no sense of decency, sir?'"
Regarding the Bush administration's recent comments about the war on terrorism, Olbermann said:
- "It, in many respects, is accomplishing—as I said on the air the other night—that which the terrorists are supposed to be looking to do, which is to divide us, make us fearful, change our way of life. I believe Mr. Bush said they hate us for our liberty, and the government seems to be intent on reducing many of those freedoms and liberties. It's been building; this is not the first time I've said anything about this, about the administration or about its conduct. Pretty much this has been constant since this newscast went on the air. As they have wandered further from reality and our history and what I think all of us—liberals and conservatives and everybody else—were taught as far as our way of life. The further they wander away, the harder you have to reach out to try and grab them and pull them back."
Published Works by Keith Olbermann
- "The Worst Person in the World: And 202 Strong Contenders," Wiley (September 11, 2006), ISBN 0470044950.
Articles by Keith Olbermann
- "Federal Judge Dismisses the Army's 'Stop Loss' Lawsuit." Guest: Paul Rieckhoff, Operation Truth, olbermanwatch.com, February 8, 2005; Transcript, "Countdown with Keith Olbermann, MSNBC.
- "New FEMA boss is 'Duct Tape Man'," Countdown MSNBC, September 12, 2005.
- "This hole in the ground. Keith Olbermann comments on the anniversary of 9/11," Countdown/MSNBC, September 25, 2006.
- "Bush owes us an apology. Keith Olbermann comments on President Bush's Rose Garden address," Countdown/MSNBC, September 25, 2006.
- "'Have you no sense of decency, sir?'. Keith Olbermann comments on Bush's Rose Garden press conference," Countdown/MSNBC, September 25, 2006.
- "Feeling morally, intellectually confused? Keith Olbermann comments on Donald Rumsfeld's remarks," Countdown/MSNBC, September 25, 2006.
- "A textbook definition of cowardice. Keith Olbermann comments on Bill Clinton's Fox News interview," Countdown/MSNBC, September 26, 2006.
- "A Special Comment About Lying. The difference between terrorists and critics," MSNBC (Common Dreams), October 6, 2006.
- "Olbermann: Special comment about ‘sacrifice’. BBC reports Bush will reveal troop surge plan in sacrifice-themed speech," MSNBC, January 3, 2006. See McCain doctrine
- "Special comment: Condi goes too far. Olbermann: Secretary Rice’s comparison of Saddam to Hitler is not accurate," Countdown/MSNBC, Februrary 27, 2007. re Condoleezza Rice
Media Segments with Keith Olbermann
- "Bush TV ratings a flop," Crooks and Liars, June 29, 2005: "Only 23 million saw the show, down from 34.7 million for his Social Security speech. It sure looks like he was preaching to the choir," according to Keith Olbermann.
- "Olbermann uncovers Family Research Council filibuster flip-flop," Media Matters for America, April 26, 2005: "MSNBC host Keith Olbermann noted that the Family Research Council (FRC), which is currently campaigning to stop filibusters of President Bush's judicial nominees by Senate Democrats, was quite vocal in the late 1990s in defending the right to filibuster another presidential nominee, James C. Hormel, who was nominated by President [Bill] Clinton as ambassador to Luxembourg."
- "Late Night with Keith Olbermann: LA terrorist Plot debunked?" Crooks and Liars, February 9, 2006. (WMP and QT formats).
- David Edwards, "Video: John Dean To Testify at Senate Censure Hearing," The Brad Blog, March 30, 2006: "MSNBC Countdown's Keith Olbermann interviews former Nixon White House Council John Dean." (WMP format).
- Jamie Holly, "Keith Olbermann’s Special Comment on Bush: Who has left this hole in the ground? We have not forgotten, Mr. President. You have. May this country forgive you," Crooks and Liars, September 11, 2006. (WMP and QT formats).
- Nicolle Bell, "Olbermann’s Special Comment: Are YOURS the actions of a true American?" Crooks and Liars, September 25, 2006. Note: See 10:30-minute video of Keith Olbermann's statement; posted on YouTube.
- "Leaked Intel Report Shows Iraq War Making US Less Safe," YouTube, September 25, 2006. 3:58 Minutes/MSNBC with Keith Olbermann.
- "All the President's Lies," Special Comment Blog, September 27, 2006.
- Evan Derkacz, "Rice was warned of 9/11 in 7/10 meeting," AlterNet, October 3, 2006. Includes YouTube video link to segment on Condoleezza Rice re pre-September 11, 2001 intelligence.
- "It is not the Democrats whose inaction in the face of the enemy you fear," Special Comment Blog, October 5, 2006.
- "Olbermann: 'Why does habeas corpus hate America'," Crooks and Liars, October 10, 2006. (WMV and QT formats); also posted at Special Comment Blog. re Military Commissions Act of 2006
- John Amato, "Olbermann Exclusive: Dissecting new Book: Tempting Faith," Crooks and Liars, October 11, 2006. (WMV and QT formats); also posted at Special Comment Blog. re The Bush Theocracy and David Kuo's "Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction (2006 book)," Free Press (October 16, 2006), ISBN 0743287126.
- John Amato, "Tempting Faith: Christian Conservatives Duped by BushCo. Part II," Crooks and Liars, October 12, 2006. (WMV and QT formats); also post at Speical Comment Blog.
- Nico Pitney, "Milbank: 'There Are Rumors About A Third (Page Scandal), This One Involving A 16-Year-Old Girl'," Think Progress, October 18, 2006. Video link on page.
- John Amato, "Countdown Special Comment: Death of Habeas Corpus: 'Your words are lies, Sir'," Crooks and Liars, October 18, 2006. (WMV and QT formats); also posted at Special Comments Blog. re Military Commissions Act of 2006
- "GOP Fearmongering," Special Comment Blog, October 23, 2006.
- Evan Derkacz, "UPDATED: Olbermann on Terror," AlterNet, October 24, 2006. Video link on page. re fear
- "Stay the Course!!!" Countdown with Keith Olbermann/MSNBC, October 27, 2006. Links to YouTube. re stay the course
- Jamie Holly, "Olbermann’s Special Comment: There is no line this President has not crossed — nor will not cross — to keep one political party, in power," Crooks and Liars, November 1, 2006. (WMV and QT formats); also posted at Special Comment Blog. re U.S. congressional elections in 2006
- "This country was founded to prevent anybody from making it up as they went along," Special Comment Blog, November 6, 2006.
- Jamie Holly, "Olbermann’s Run Down Of Memorable Election Night Moments," Crooks and Liars, November 8, 2006.
- "Educating Bush on Vietnam," Special Comment Blog, November 20, 2006.
- "Olbermann's Special Comment on Gingrich," MSNBC (posted on YouTube), November 30, 2006. re Newt Gingrich
- "We fight for liberty by having more liberty and not less," Special Comment Blog, November 30, 2006.
- "Olbermann Dissects Colbert vs. O’Reilly," Crooks and Liars, January 21, 2007. re Stephen Colbert and Bill O'Reilly
- Alex Koppelman, "The Olbermann factor. The MSNBC maverick gives Salon the countdown on his anti-Bush orations, battling with Bill O'Reilly, and the nauseating truth about cable news," Salon, September 11, 2006.
- Scott Shuster, "Keith Olbermann - An Honest American," OpEdNews, September 26, 2006.
- Jeff Cohen, "Is Olbermann on Thin Ice?" The Huffington Post, October 3, 2006.
- Dan Froomkin, "Olbermann's Special Comments," Washington Post, October 6, 2006.
- David Bauder, "Olbermann News Commentaries Target Bush," Associated Press (The Call; El Paso Times), October 8, 2006.
- "Keith Olbermann goes on the attack. 'Countdown' host taps large audience with anti-Bush commentaries," Associated Press (MSNBC), October 9, 2006.
- Nicole Belle, "The Smell of Desperation?" Crooks and Liars, October 19, 2006.
- C.W. Nevius, "Olbermann taps a well of discontent as the anti-O'Reilly," San Francisco Chronicle, November 12, 2006.
- Daphne Eviatar, "Olbermann's Hot News," The Nation, December 1, 2006 (December 18, 2006 issue).