Phillips has been one of the strongest influences behind the Howard Government's Independent Contractors Act, which will remove the protections currently enjoyed by independent contractors, including, access to superannuation, workers compensation and some legal recourse when treated unfairly. Phillips argues instead that all workers, including contractors, should be "free" of such protections when negotiating with employers. 
- Ken Phillips, Independence and the death of employment, Independent Contractors of Australia, 2005
- Ken Phillips, "Legislation bites as interlopers play the prosecutor", Sydney Morning Herald, October 5, 2005.
- Ken Phillips, "Culture of conservatives' fear: Ageing boomers opposed to the IR changes are holding back everyone else", The Australian, October 24, 2005.
- Ken Phillips, "Farmers' solutions are in their own paddock", The Age, January 16, 2006. (The National Farmers Federation says a more professional approach to managing workers will keep them down on the farm").
- Ken Phillips, "Death at work: who should be blamed?", The Age, February 9, 2006.
- Contract With Australia Workers Online, May 5, 3006.