Kevin's Corner Coal Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Kevin's Corner Project is a coal mine project proposed by Hancock Galilee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Gina Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting. The project is located in the Galilee Basin in Queensland and is adjacent to Hancock Coal’s Alpha Coal Project.
The project is currently the subject of a feasibility study. The project is proposed to produce 30 million tonnes per annum and employ 2500 people in the construction phase.
On its website, Hancock Coal states that the project "will be a 30 Mtpa [million tonnes per annum] open-cut and underground longwall coal mine. The operation has an expected mine life of 30 plus years. Our studies and direct market feedback indicate that a second 30 Mtpa Project for thermal coal from the Galilee Basin is required to meet the forecast demand for energy out beyond 2020. Galilee coal is suitable for burning in the majority of Asian and Indian power stations. Our planning is for commencement of construction in 2011 and first production in late 2013."
The Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation states that the "estimated $6.6 billion investment in the Kevin’s Corner mine includes a $2.5 contribution towards this common user infrastructure ($1.5 billion for the rail and $1 billion for the port)."
According to the Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation the project timeline to date is:
- 10 August 2009: Application, initial advice statement, submitted.
- 11 August 2009: Project referred to federal environment minister.
- 8 September 2009: Project deemed a ‘controlled action’ by federal environment minister.
- 11 September 2009: Gazettal of ‘significant project’ declaration.
- 31 October 2009 to 30 November 2009: Public consultation on draft terms of reference for EIS.
- 9 February 2010: Terms of reference for EIS (PDF, 466 KB) released.
- Pending: Finalisation of EIS by project proponent.
Website: Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation http://www.deedi.qld.gov.au/cg/kevins-corner-project.html
Articles and resources
- Hancock Coal, "Hancock’s Galilee Coal Basin Projects – 'The Galilee is now open for business'", Hancock Coal & Hancock Galilee, March 2011, page 2. (Pdf)
- Hancock Coal, "Kevin's Corner", Hancock Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, "Minerals and energy: Major development projects", April 2010. (Pdf). The list is also available in Excel format here.)
- Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation, "Kevin's Corner", Queensland Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation website, accessed September 2011.