"The Institute is an outgrowth and expansion of the internationally renowned Zen Hospice Project that Frank Ostaseski helped form in 1987. As such we have a well-established history in creative leadership, innovative program delivery and sound fiscal management. " 
Metta Institute CORE FACULTY
- Angeles Arrien, PhD, author, anthropologist, Associate Professor, California Institute for Integral Studies.
- Ram Dass, author, internationally renowned spiritual teacher.
- Zoketsu Norman Fischer, author, Zen priest, Founder of Everyday Zen Foundation, former Abbot of San Francisco Zen Center.
- Charles Garfield, PhD, author, founder of Shanti Project, Clinical Professor, UCSF Medical School, Board Member Jung Institute, Visiting Scholar, Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley.
- Frank Ostaseski, Founder and Director, Metta Institute, Founding Director Zen Hospice Project.
- Rachel Naomi Remen, MD, author, co-founder of Commonweal Center, Clinical Professor, University of California at San Francisco Medical School.
- Ange Stephens, MA, MFT, integral psychotherapist and coach, specializing in illness, death and dying, and grief.
- Angeles Arrien, PhD, (deceased, April 2014) author, anthropologist, Associate Professor, California Institute for Integral Studies.
- Rabbi Alan Lew, (deceased, January 2009) Former Spiritual Leader, Congregation Beth Shalom, founder of Makor Or Center for Jewish Meditation.
- Frances Vaughan, PhD, (deceased, September 2017), author, transpersonal psychologist, trustee of the Fetzer Institute