Mtwara Cement power station
Mtwara Cement power station was a proposed 75-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Mtwara, Tanzania. Later the plant was proposed to be 50 MW and gas-fired.
The map below shows Mtwara Town, the approximate location for the power station.
In 2014 Dangote Industries applied for a license to build a 75-megawatt coal-fired plant in Tanzania. The plant would power a 3 million tonne per annum cement factory which began operating in 2015.
- Sponsor: Dangote Cement
- Parent company: Dangote Industries
- Location: Mtwara Town, Mtwara, Tanzania
- Coordinates: -10.273611, 40.182778 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled (will be primarily a gas plant)
- Gross Capacity: 75 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Mbinga coal mine
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Nigeria's Dangote Cement to start production in Tanzania," Reuters, May 4, 2015
- "Tanzania: Mtwara Cement Plant to Offer 10,000 Jobs," All Africa, Jan 14, 2015
- ESIA, Dangote Cement, July 2017