Paulo Sergio Pinheiro
Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro "was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1944 and he lives between São Paulo, Paris and Geneva ,with his wife Ana Luiza." 
- Treasurer, Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions 
- Advisory Council, Realizing Rights: The Ethical Globalization Initiative
- International Advisory Council, Center of Legal and Social Studies
- International Working and Advisory Group, Comparative Human Relations Initiative
- Special Mandate Holder, United Nations Human Rights Commission 
- Brazil (after 1971):
- Professor of Political Science, Department of political science, USP, 1985-2003, retired, Director of the Center for the Study of Violence [Núcleo de Estudos da Violência], NEV, 1987 - 2002 and Associate Researcher after 2003
- Chairperson of UNESCO chair on education, peace, human rights, democracy and Tolerance, Institute of Advanced Studies, IEA, USP, (1998-2000), USP. ,
- Assistant professor of political science, State University of Campinas, São Paulo, UNICAMP, (1971- 1985)
- Chair of the department of social sciences (1977-1978), UNICAMP
- Advisor to the Rector of the Universidade de São Paulo (1987-1988)
- Abroad (after 1995):
- Visiting Professor, Maison des Sciences de l'Homme, Paris, France (Jan-March 1996 Jan. 1998; Feb. 2000, September 2003 to December 2004)
- Visiting Associate Professor of International Relations, Watson Institute, Brown University, USA (Spring Terms:2005-2007; 2003; 2001; 1997)
- Titulaire pro tempore de la chaire d'études en sciences sociales "Sérgio Buarque de Hollanda", Maison des Sciences de l'Homme, Paris, France (Spetember- February 2003;April-July 1999).
- Senior Member at Saint Anthony's College and Fellow at the Center for Brazilian Studies, Oxford University, UK (Hilary Term, Jan.- March 1999)
- Visiting Faculty Fellow, Kellogg Institute, University of Notre Dame, USA, (Spring Term, 1995);
- Secretary of State for Human rights[with the status of Minister], Brazil (November 2001- December 2003)
- Rapporteur of the two Brazilian National Human Rights Plan: PNDH (1995-1996)and PNDH(2003) launched by the Brazilian Government
- Rapporteur of the São Paulo State Human Rights Plan, Brazil (1997- 1998).
- Special Counsel [with the status of Secretary of State] to the Governor of São Paulo State, Brazil (1983-1987)
POSITIONS IN INTERNATIONAL BODIES
- Member of the Interamerican Commission on Human Rights, Organization of American States, Washington DC (2003 - 2007)
- Independent Expert appointed by the UN Secretary General to prepare a worldwide report on violence against children ( February 2003 .)
- Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Myanmar (2001....)
- Member of the UN Sub-commission on the promotion and protection of human rights, Geneva (1998 to the present)
- Member of the UN International Commission of Inquiry on Alleged Human Rights Violation in Togo, appointed by the UN Secretary-General (2000).
- Consultant for the Human Development Report 2000 on Human Rights, United Nation Development Program, UNDP 2000.
- Member of the Civil Society Organizations Committee, UNDP, New York (2000-2002).
- United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Burundi (1995- 1999)
- Chairperson of the group of UN Commission on Human Rights Special Rapporteurs, Special Representatives and Experts of the UN Commission on Human Rights, Geneva (May 1997- May 1998).
- Rapporteur of the meeting of the UN Sub-commission on the protection and promotion of human rights, (August 1999)
MEMBERSHIP IN CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANIZATIONS
- Board of the Comunidade Solidária, a consortium of NGOS in partnership with the Brazilian Federal Government, Brasília, chaired by Ms. Ruth Cardoso, (1999-2002)
- Justice and Peace Commission of São Paulo (since 1984)
- Teotonio Villela Commission on Human Rights, São Paulo (since 1983)
- Vice- president (1997 -2001) and member of the board (2003 to the present) of the São Paulo Institute against Violence, (since 1997), an association organized by major business federations in São Paulo.
- Member of the Federal Commission on Human Rights, Brazilian bar Association, OAB (1988)
- Chair of the Human Rights Commission, Brazilian Bar Association, OAB- São Paulo (1985-1989).
M*ember of Group of International Advisors the International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC, Geneva ( appointed in 2002)
- Vice- president of the International Humanitarian Fact-finding Commission, Bern, Switzerland (1998) and Member of that Commission, 1995- 2001
- Member of the board of the Center for Justice and International Law, CEJIL, Washington, DC (1990- 2002).
- Member of the board of the Human Relations Initiative, Beyond Racism, Atlanta, USA, 1998-2000 HUMAN RIGHTS MISSIONS
Human rights missions
Several human rights monitoring missions in several states of Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Paraguay, Haiti, Burundi, Togo and Myanmar.
- Pinheiro was made knight of the Ordre National du Mérite, France (1998).
- "Special Prize" for his work on human rights, Sociedade Brasileira para o
Progresso da Ciência [Brazilian Society for the Advancement of Science], SBPC, 1988.
- American Sociological Association ("Distinguished Latin American Criminologist", 1979).
Resources and articles
- Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro: CURRICULUM VITAE (abridged), UNCHR, accessed July 7, 2007.
- Directors, Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions, accessed August 28, 2009.
- Strategic Management Plan 2008-2009, United Nations Human Rights Commission, accessed April 9, 2009.