Robert W. McChesney
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Robert W. McChesney is professor of communication at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His books include:
- It's the Media, Stupid
- Our Media, Not Theirs
- Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times
He is married to Inger L. Stole.
- Co-founder, Free Press
- Director, Institute for Public Accuracy
- MediaChannel, International Advisors
- The Real News: International Founding Committee
- Advisory Board, Media Education Foundation 
- Advisory Board (2006), Progressive Media Project 
- Advisory Council, Colombia Support Network 
CV listed Affiliations 
- Member, Board of Directors, Independent Media Center, Urbana-Champaign, 2006-
- Member, Board of Advisors, 4th Estate Society, 2005-
- Member, Board of Directors, Institute for Public Accuracy, 2004-
- Member, Board of Directors, Habitat Media, Inc., 2004-
- Member, Free Speech TV Advisory Board, 2004-
- Member, Founding Committee, Independent World Television, 2003-
- Founder & President, Free Press, 2003-
- Member, Advisory Board, Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting, 2002-
- Member, Capital Campaign Committee, Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, 2002.
- Member, Corporate Reform Commission, Citizen Works, 2002-2004.
- Member, Advisory Board, Our Media Voice: A Campaign for Accountability, 2002-
- President, Council of Professors, U.S. Campus Greens, 2001-2002.
- Advisor/Associate, Project on Media Ownership, 2000-2002.
- Member, Advisory Committee, World-Information.Org, 2000-
- Member, Advisory Board, Chicago Media Watch, 1999-
- Member, Advisory Board, The Progressive Media Project, 1999-
- Advisor, The Media Channel, 1999-
- Judge, Project Censored Survey of Most Underreported News Stories, 1999-2003
- Treasurer, In These Times newspaper, 1999- 2000.
- Member, Board of Advisors, Media Education Foundation, 1999-
- Member, Advisory Board, Colombia Support Network, 1999-
- Member, Board of Advisors, Media Program at the Open Society Institute, 1999-
- Honorary Chair, Microradio Empowerment Coalition, 1999-
- Trustee, The Milton S. Eisenhower Foundation, 1998-
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, The Progressive magazine, 1997-
- Member, Board of Directors, Media Ownership Project of the Media Education Foundation, 1997-
- Member, Board of Directors, Wisconsin Center for First Amendment Studies, 1997-
- President, Board of Directors, Institute for Public Accuracy, 1997- 2004.
- Member, Faculty Network, AFL-CIO Organizing Institute, 1997-
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, The Capital Times newspaper, Madison, Wis., 1997.
- Member, Board of Directors, In These Times newspaper, 1995-
- Member, Board of Directors & Executive Committee, Cultural Environment Movement, 1996-1999.
- Member, Advisory Board, MediaVision, 1996-
- Member, Media and Democracy Coordinating Committee, 1997.
Criticism from the Left
- Michael Barker, "Media for Freedom?," The Unrepentant Marxist, March 31, 2010.