Rossano Calabro Power Station
Rossano Calabro Power Station is a proposed oil-to-coal power plant conversion in Calabria region, Italy.
The map below shows Rossano, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
In May 2005 it was reported that Enel had abandoned plans to convert its existing oil plant to coal, as the municipal council of Rossano voted unanimously against the project. However, Enel's 2011-2015 plan, released in April 2011, listed "clean coal" as an important component in the company's energy mix, and continued to cite plans "in the future to launch the transformation of the Rossano Calabro plant". A report published on the website of Italian renewable energy advocate QualEnergia claims that while Enel officially talks about conversion of the existing plant, its plan "actually consists in the construction of a new plant including the total demolition of the four existing oil boilers and the construction of a new coal-fired boiler of 800 MW. The project has been presented as 'poly-combustible' although, according to the available information, 95% of the used combustible would be coal dust."
In 2012 the project's EIA was rejected by the Ministry of the Environment.
In October 2014 it was reported that Enel would not be converting its oil-fired Porto Tolle Power Station to coal, as thermal plants have seen profitability squeezed by low demand in the country and rising renewable energy output, which has priority access to the grid.
In May 2017 Enel said it plans to own no coal plants in Italy within 10-15 years.
- Sponsor: Enel
- Parent company:
- Location: Rossano, Cosenza province, Calabria region, Italy
- Coordinates: 39.622666,16.606747 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Capacity: 800 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Enel: Coal Plan in Difficult Straits", Staffetta News, May 19, 2005.
- "Enel focuses on renewables, gas and coal", Enel press release, April 22, 2011.
- "ENEL - Annual General Meeting 2013: Questions on Point n°1 of the AGM Agenda", Fondazione Culturale Responsabilità Etica, 2013.
- "Conversione a carbone della Centrale termoelettrica di Rossano Calabro (CS)," Ministerio dell Ambiente, 2012
- "Enel mulls phase-out of 11GW of Italian thermal capacity," ICIS, 16 October 2014
- "Enel, Starace: tra 10-15 anni chiuse le centrali a carbone," Staffetta Online, May 5, 2017