Ruby Energy Mine
Ruby Energy is an underground coal mining operation in Mingo County, West Virginia, operated by Spartan Mining and owned by Massey Energy.
In 2010, the Mine Safety and Health Administration listed Ruby Energy as having a history of safety violations, along with Freedom Mine 1 (KY) and the Upper Big Branch Mine, which have both had fatal disasters.
- MSHA ID: 4608808
- Operator: Spartan Mining Co., Inc.
- Controller: Massey Energy
- County: Mingo
- State: WV
- Latitude: 37.74
- Longitude: -82.2
- 2007 Production (short tons): 772,759
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Underground
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 71
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- West Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Matt Whittaker, "Massey Idles Mine Amid Regulatory Scrutiny" Wall Street Journal, Dec. 1, 2010.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration