|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
The Stanwell Corporation is a Queensland Government owned corporation which owns and operates two major coal-fired power stations as well as a number of smaller hydro and gas-fired power stations in Queensland. In its 2009 annual report the corporation stated that it "trades more than 30% of Queensland’s electricity requirements."
Existing Coal-Fired power stations
The corporation operates two maje coal-fired power stations. These are:
- the Stanwell power station in Central Queensland which has an installed capacity of 1,400 MW; and
- the Gladstone power station in Central Queensland which has an installed capacity of 1,680 MW but is described as a "wholesale trader only".
Proposed coal-fired power stations
The Stanwell Corporation is listed as a partner in the Wandoan Power Project, a proposed 400 megawatt integrated gasification combined-cycle (IGCC) power station in Queensland which proposes to incorporate "90% carbon (CO2) capture and storage (CCS). In July 2009 GE Energy announced that it had "submitted a full project proposal to the Queensland and Australian federal governments as well as the Australian Coal Association" earlier that year.
- Member, Ash Development Association of Australia, a lobby group promoting the use of ash from coal-fired power stations in building materials and other uses.
Postal Address: GPO Box 773,
Brisbane QLD 4001
Phone: 1800 303 116
Phone: (07) 3335 7444
Fax: (07) 3335 7477
Articles and resources
- Stanwell Corporation, "Tabled Amended Statement of Corporate Intent 2008-09", October 2009, page 3.
- Wandoan Power, "GE Energy proposes world-leading IGCC plant for Australia", Media Release, July 27, 2009.
- Ash Development Association of Australia, "Membership", Ash Development Association of Australia website, accessed June 2011.