Warren Petryk is a Republican member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, representing Assembly District 93.
Petryk was reelected on November 6, 2012.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Warren Petryk is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council, and sits on ALEC's Health and Human Services Task Force. In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rep. Petryk co-authored 11 bills that reflect ALEC models, according to an analysis by the Center for Media and Democracy.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
ALEC bills supported
2011 Regular Session - Bills sponsored and co-sponsored:
- Sponsored AB 110 (Special Needs Scholarship) - Compare to ALEC model legislation, the ALEC Special Needs Scholarship Program Act (pdf)
- Sponsored AB 69 (Castle Doctrine) - Compare to ALEC's model bill, the Castle Doctrine Act(pdf), which was also approved by the NRA.
- Sponsored AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC model bill Voter ID Act(pdf)
- Sponsored AJR 28 (Assembly Joint Resolution - the "Health Care Freedom Amendment") - Circumvents federal health reform legislation; prohibits requiring a person to obtain or maintain health insurance coverage or to participate in any health care system or plan. Compare to ALEC's model bill, the "Freedom of Choice in Healthcare Act"(pdf).
- Sponsored AJR 31 - (Transportation Tax and Fee Restriction Amendment) - compare to the aims of ALEC's Resolution in Opposition to the Use of Transportation Taxes Except for Investment in the Nation's Transportation Infrastructure (pdf)
- Co-sponsored SB 6 (Voter ID) - see AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- Co-sponsored SJR 21 (Senate Joint Resolution - the "Health Care Freedom Amendment") - Circumvents federal health reform legislation; prohibits requiring a person to obtain or maintain health insurance coverage or to participate in any health care system or plan. Compare to ALEC's model bill, the "Freedom of Choice in Healthcare Act"(pdf).
- Co-sponsored SJR 23 - (Transportation Tax and Fee Restriction Amendment) - Compare to AJR 31 (above), and compare to ALEC's "Constitutional Amendment Restricting the Use of Vehicle Fees and Taxes for Highway Purposes" (pdf)
Bills voted for - 2011 Session:
- AB 40 (2011-2013 Biennial Budget) - compare to ALEC's Title Pledge Act (pdf), ALEC's Public Employees Portable Retirement (PRO) Act (pdf), ALEC's Alternative Methods of Court Appearances Act (pdf) and ALEC's Anti-Crime (Secured Release) Act(pdf)
- AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- AB 94 (School Choice) Milwaukee Parental Choice Program - compare to ALEC's Parental Choice Scholarship Accountability Act
- AB 11 (Budget Repair Bill) - Compare to ALEC's Public Employee Freedom Act (pdf) and ALEC's model Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act(pdf)
- AB 5 (Supermajority) - requires a supermajority to pass tax increases. Compare to ALEC's model Super-Majority Act(pdf)
Room 306 North
P.O. Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708
S 9840 Hwy 93
Eleva, WI 54738
Telephone: (608) 266-0660 Or (888) 534-0093
Fax: (608) 282-3693
- State of Wisconsin Legislator pages, Warren Petryk, state legislature webpage, biosketch of Warren Petryk, accessed August 1, 2011
- Wisconsin Vote, 2012 Election Results, accessed November 27, 2012.
- Democracy Addicts Warren Petryk, Project SmartALEC/Wisconsin legislators. Database. Accessed August 1, 2011