YES! Magazine self-describes as a "nonprofit, independent publisher of solutions journalism."
The publication's website breaks down the magazine's reporting into three sections: explanatory journalism, solutions reporting, and commentaries.
As YES! Magazine's website describes, "Our explanatory journalism analyzes societal problems in terms of their root causes and explores opportunities for systemic, structural change. Our stories uncover environmental, economic, and social justice intersections. Our solutions reporting spotlights the ideas and initiatives of people building a better world. Our commentaries address dominant economic, political, and social structures and consider alternative ways of thinking that can produce a more equitable and Earth-friendly world."
Content of Writing
In December 2019, digital editor Ayu Sutriasa said about the most popular YES! pieces of the year: "I have learned that solutions take many forms. Sometimes they are replicable, such as the library in British Columbia that is decolonizing how it organizes information. Sometimes solutions look like one small, individual action, such as connecting with a neighbor. And sometimes, solutions require us to name the problems courageously to solve them, like toxic masculinity or the whitewashing of Martin Luther King Jr."
According to the publication's website, the print magazine "reached more than 150,000 readers nationwide" in 2017 and the website receives over 425,000 monthly visitors. As of February 2020, the YES! Magazine Facebook page had over 200,000 followers and its Twitter page had over 60,000 followers.
Yes! Magazine is a nonprofit, funded by subscriptions, donations, and foundation grants. According to the publication's website, "Donations also fund free subscriptions to libraries and teachers, grassroots organizations, faith groups, and policy-makers."
The magazine publishes yearly financial reports and its IRS Form 990s on its website.
Total Revenue: $2,701,424
Total Expenses: $2,500,297
Net Assets: $1,315,602
Total Revenue: $2,511,219
Total Expenses: $2,345,341
Net Assets: $1,114,475
Total Revenue: $2,291,884
Total Expenses: $2,114,613
Net Assets: $947,142
Total Revenue: $2,117,186
Total Expenses: $1,957,759
Net Assets: $992,189
- David Korten
- Sarah Van Gelder
Board of Directors
As of 2020:
- Jill Bamburg, Chair
- Eli Feghali, Vice Chair
- Tanya Dawkins, Secretary
- Alisa Gravitz, Treasurer
- David Korten, Co-founder
- Berit Anderson
- Manolia Charlotin
- Rick Ingrasci
- Gideon Rosenblatt
- Elizabeth Sanders
- Sunnivie Brydum, Editorial Director
- Jin Fong, Education Outreach Manager
- Matt Grisafi, Senior Director of Product and Marketing
- Christine Hanna, Executive Director
- Camille Gomez, Donor Stewardship Manager
- Zenobia Jeffries Warfield, Executive Editor
- Rebecca Lee, Development Coordinator
- Natalie Lubsen, Marketing Manager
- Tracy Matsue Loeffelholz, Creative Director
- Kimi Mehlinger, Customer Service
- Enkhbayar Munkh-Erdene, Designer
- Kathy Murphy, Bookkeeper/Office Manager
- Paula Murphy, Fulfillment Manager
- Yvonne Rivera, Customer Service Manager
- Jon Sayer, Salesforce Administrator
- Robin Simons, Development Manager
- Ayu Sutriasa, Digital Editor
- Audrey Watson, Finance & Operations Director
- Michael Winter, IT Manager
- Chris Winters, Senior Editor
- Colin Beavan
- adrienne maree brown
- Tanya Dawkins
- Mark Engler
- Robert Jensen
- Peter Kalmus
- Winona LaDuke
- Frances Moore Lappé
- Annie Leonard
- Penn Loh
- Fran Korten
- Bill McKibben
- Raj Patel
- Madhu Suri Prakash
- Mark Trahant
- Nathan Schneider
- Vandana Shiva
- Jay Walljasper
P.O. Box 10818
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
220 Second Ave S
Seattle, WA 98104
284 Madrona Way NE, Suite 116
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Phone: (206) 842-0216
Toll-free: (800) 937-4451
Fax: (206) 842-5208
Articles and Resources
IRS Form 990 Filings
- Yes! Magazine, About, media website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Ayu Sutriasa, "10 Stories Readers Loved in 2019", YES! Magazine, December 27, 2019, accessed February 9, 2020.
- YES! Magazine, YES! Magazine, Facebook page, accessed February 9, 2020.
- YES! Magazine, YES! Magazine, Twitter page, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Yes! Magazine, Positive Futures Network 990, media website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Yes! Magazine, 2018 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Yes! Magazine, 2017 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Yes! Magazine, 2016 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Yes! Magazine, 2015 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed February 9, 2020.
- YES! Magazine, YES! Board of Directors, media website, accessed February 9, 2020.