Keep America Safe
Keep America Safe is an organization funded by Republican fundraiser Mel Sembler and operated by former Vice President Dick Cheney's daughter, Elizabeth Cheney. It has three board members: Elizabeth L. Cheney, Debra Burlingame and William Kristol. The organization advocates positions held by Dick Cheney and the former Bush Administration, specifically opposing the closing of the Guantanamo Bay detainee prison, ending criminal investigations of CIA interrogation methods, and expansion of the U.S. war in Afghanistan.
Their website urges people to:
- Join their group to get their emails
- Contribute money
- Write news editors
- Call talk radio stations
- Write legislators to get their views across
Is that "Keep America Safe" - or "Keep Cheney Out of Jail"?
In 2009, Scott Horton of Harpers Magazine questioned the purpose of Liz Cheney and Bill Kristol forming the group. He wrote that in the advocacy page of their website, "we find an absolute obsession with one issue: a criminal probe into the origins of the torture program by the Justice Department. The whole Keep America Safe campaign is geared to making the point that the torture program and other Cheney-authored measures that probably crossed the threshold into criminal conduct were perfectly legitimate policy alternatives. Keep America Safe seems largely dedicated to keeping Cheney out of jail."
Keep America Safe
1718 M Street, NW #351
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 525-4608
Email: info AT KeepAmericaSafe.com
Articles and resources
Related Sourcewatch articles
- ↑ Keep America Safe Board members, accessed October 23, 2009
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Keep America Safe Home page of Keep America Safe, accessed October 23, 2009
- ↑ Keep America Safe Write Your Local Newspaper Editors, accessed October 23, 2009
- ↑ Accountable America Mel Sembler, accessed October 23, 2009
- ↑ Michael Isikoff Update: Major Republican Donor Plans to Fund Liz Cheney’s New Organization, Newsweek, October 23, 2009
- ↑ Scott Horton, "Is that "Keep America Safe"—or "Keep Cheney Out of Jail"?", Harpers, October 26, 2009.
- Radio Business Report “Keep America Safe” launching on radio, web, October 25, 2009
- National Public Radio Liz Cheney Launches 'Keep America Safe;' Video Skewers Obama, October 13, 2009, accessed October 26, 2009