South Carolina Policy Council
Learn more about how the State Policy Network aids ALEC and spins disinformation in the states.
The South Carolina Policy Council is a non-profit, non-partisan public policy research and education foundation. Established in 1986, it focuses on "innovative policy ideas that advance the principles of limited government and free enterprise," according to its website. The South Carolina Policy Council is a member of the State Policy Network (SPN).
Ties to the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity
The South Carolina Policy Council has a media project called The Nerve. The South Carolina Policy Council is listed as a Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity "Statehouse News Bureau". The Franklin Center funds reporters in over 40 states. Despite their non-partisan description, many of the websites funded by the Franklin Center have received criticism for their conservative bias. On its website, the Franklin Center claims it "provides 10 percent of all daily reporting from state capitals nationwide."
Franklin Center Funding
Franklin Center Director of Communications Michael Moroney told the Center for Public Integrity (CPI) in 2013 that the source of the Franklin Center's funding "is 100 percent anonymous." But 95 percent of its 2011 funding came from DonorsTrust, a spin-off of the Philanthropy Roundtable that functions as a large "donor-advised fund," cloaking the identity of donors to right-wing causes across the country (CPI did a review of Franklin's Internal Revenue Service records). Mother Jones called DonorsTrust "the dark-money ATM of the conservative movement" in a February 2013 article. Franklin received DonorTrust's second-largest donation in 2011.
The Franklin Center was launched by the Chicago-based Sam Adams Alliance (SAM), a 501(c)(3) devoted to pushing free-market ideals. SAM gets funding from the State Policy Network, which is partially funded by the Claude R. Lambe Foundation. Charles Koch, one of the billionaire brothers who co-own Koch Industries, sits on the board of this foundation. SAM also receives funding from the Rodney Fund.
Board of Directors
- Thomas A. Roe, Founding Chairman
- John Mahoney, Chairman
- Mary Lou Lineberger, Vice Chairman
- Jake Rasor, Jr., Treasurer
- William Lowndes, III
- Philip Warth
- Thomas L. Wilcox, Jr.
- Ashley Landess, President
- Total Revenue: $1,014,882
- Total Expenses: $1,197,673
- Net Assets: $607,216
- Total Revenue: $1,248,397.00
- Total Expenses: $1,391,461.00
- Net Assets: $790,007.00
- Total Revenue: $1,426,970.00
- Total Expenses: $1,257,078.00
- Net Assets: $933,071.00
1323 Pendleton St.
Columbia, S.C., 29201
E-mail: info at scpolicycouncil.org
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- State Policy Network:
- American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
- Donors Capital Fund
- Koch Family Foundations
- Koch Industries
- Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity
- Heritage Foundation
- Think tanks
- Whitney Ball
- Adam Meyerson
- Bridgett Wagner
Related PRWatch Articles
- Rebekah Wilce, A Reporters’ Guide to the "State Policy Network": the Right-Wing Think Tanks Spinning Disinformation and Pushing the ALEC Agenda in the States, PRWatch.org, April 4, 2013.
- Sara Jerving, ALEC and Heartland Aim to Crush Renewable Energy Standards in the States, PRWatch.org, November 27, 2012.
- Connor Gibson, Meet the Network Hiding the Koch Money: "Donors Trust" and "Donors Capital Fund", PRWatch.org, October 29, 2012.
- Brendan Fischer, Koch-Funded Mackinac Center Brings Wisconsin Act 10 Provisions to ALEC, PRWatch.org, May 2, 2012.
- Sara Jerving, Franklin Center: Right-Wing Funds State News Source, PRWatch.org, October 31, 2011.
- Center for Media and Democracy and Arizona Working Families, A Reporter’s Guide to the Goldwater Institute: What Citizens, Policymakers, and Reporters Should Know, organizational report, March 14, 2013.
- Paul Abowd, Center for Public Integrity, Donors use charity to push free-market policies in states, Consider the Source, February 14, 2013.
- John R. Mashey, Fake science, fakexperts, funny finances, free of tax 2, DeSmog Blog report, updated October 23, 2012, p. 74.
- Andy Kroll, The Right-Wing Network Behind the War on Unions, Mother Jones, April 25, 2011.
- Guidestar, State Policy Network, IRS filings and other organizational information about SPN.
- Center for Policy Alternatives, ALEC and the Extreme Right-Wing Agenda, organizational brochure about ALEC and SPN.
- John J. Miller, Fifty Flowers Bloom: Conservative think tanks — mini–Heritage Foundations — at the state level, National Review, November 19, 2007.
- Bridge Project, State Policy Network, online resource listing grants to SPN and SPN's connections to other groups.
- People for the American Way, State Policy Network, RightWingWatch.org, organizational resource.
- Greenpeace, Koch Industries Climate Denial Front Group: State Policy Network (SPN), organizational resource.
- ↑ South Carolina Policy Council, "About us," organizational website, accessed July 2009.
- ↑ Cato Institute, IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, 2006, pages 19-23.
- ↑ Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, "Franklin Affiliates in Your State", organizational website, accessed December 2012
- ↑ Statehouse News Bureaus, Source Watch, accessed March 23, 2012
- ↑ Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, Franklin Affiliates in Your State, organizational website, accessed March 2013.
- ↑ The Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, Think tank Journalism: The Future of Investigative Journalism, organizational website, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ Rebekah Metzler, 'Watchdog' website puts a new spin on politics, The Portland Press Herald, October 2, 2010.
- ↑ Allison Kilkenny, The Koch Spider Web, Truthout, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ Sara Jerving, Franklin Center: Right-Wing Funds State News Source, PRWatch.org, October 27, 2011.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Paul Abowd, Center for Public Integrity, Donors use charity to push free-market policies in states, organizational report, February 14, 2013.
- ↑ Andy Kroll, Exposed: The Dark-Money ATM of the Conservative Movement, Mother Jones, February 5, 2013.
- ↑ Daniel Bice, Franklin Center boss wants apology from Democratic staffer, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, August 8, 2011.
- ↑ Bradley Foundation, The Bradley Foundation, organizational website, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ Sam Adams Alliance, Sam Adams Alliance Media Kit, organizational PDF, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ Media Matters Action Network, Sam Adams Alliance, Conservative Transparency website, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ Media Matters Action Network. State Policy Network, Conservative Transparency website, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ Media Matters Action Network, Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation, Conservative Transparency website, accessed August 19, 2011.
- ↑ South Carolina Policy Council, IRS Form 990, 2011, organizational tax filing, August 7, 2012.
- ↑ South Carolina Policy Council, IRS form 990, 2010. GuideStar.
- ↑ South Carolina Policy Council, IRS form 990, 2009. GuideStar.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|