The Auroville Foundation "consists of research, educational, service and commercial units dedicated to the promotion of the ideals of Auroville and of units dedicated to the uplifting of the population living in the villages surrounding Auroville." 
Accessed May 2012: 
- Karan Singh ( MP, Rajya Sabha), Chairman;
- Shri Ajoy Bagchi, Member;
- Ameeta Mehra, Member;
- Aster Mira Patel (Resident Auroville), Member;
- Malini Parthasarathy, Member;
- Mallika Sarabhai, Member;
- Shri Balkrishna Vithaldas Doshi,(Renowned Indian architect and town planner); Member;
- Shri A.N. Jha, Joint Secretary & Financial Adviser, HRD Ministry, Member;
- Veena Ish (Dept of Higher Education), Member.
Governing Board (2007)
- Dr. Karan Singh ( MP, Rajya Sabha), Chairman;
- Dr. D.P. Chattopadhyaya, Member;
- Shri Ajoy Bagchi, Member;
- Dr. (Smt) Aster Mira Patel ( Resident of Auroville), Member;
- Mr. Roger Anger ( Resident of Auroville), Member;
- Ms. Malini Parthasarthy, Member;
- Ms. Mallika Sarabhai, Member;
- Shri S.K. Ray,( JS & FA)
- "In the beginning of 2006 Sri Keshav Desiraju, I.A.S., Joint Secretary (UNESCO), Ministry of HRD, GoI, joined the Board.
Former members include:
- Dr. Karan Singh (ex-chairman), member Rajya Sabha;
- Mr. Gajapati Maharaja Dibyasingha Deb, Maharaja of Puri;
- Dr. M.S. Swaminathan (ex-chairman), Chairman M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation;
- Dr. Kapila Vatsyayan, former Academic Director of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts;
- Mrs. Bilkees Latif, Chairman Andra Pradesh Social Welfare Board;
- Mr. Ajoy Bagchi, Director People's Commission on Environment and Development (PCED);
- Mr. N. Krishnan, former member of the executive board of UNESCO;
- late Prof. V. Madhusudan Reddy, Chairman of the Institute of Future Studies;
- Mrs. Shantadevi Malwad, writer;
- Mrs. Aster Patel, resident member of Auroville;
- Lt. Gen. (retd.) Ashok Chatterjee, resident member of Auroville.
Representatives of the Central Government have included
- Mr. Sudeep Bannerjee;
- Mr. S.R. Tayal;
- Mr. Sudhir Nath.
- Mr. Kireet Joshi (ex-chairman),former Registrar Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education, Chairman Indian Council for Philosophical Research;
- Dr. D.P. Chattopadhyaya, Chairman Centre of Studies of Civilisations, and former Union Cabinet Minister;
- Dr. L.M. Singhvi, MP, eminent jurist and member of Indian Parliament, former Indian High Commissioner in the UK;
- Dr. Subhash C. Kashyap, former Cabinet Secretary Government of India;
- Shri V.K. Pipersenia, IAS, Joint Secretary & Financial Adviser, Dept of Secondary Education and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development;
- Shri C. Balakrishnan, IAS, Joint Secretary, (Planning & UNESCO) Dept of Secondary Education and Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development;
- Mrs. Jyothi Madhok;
- Prof. Meera Srivastava.
International Advisory Council 
- Sir Marc Tully, British Indian-based journalist and commentator, born in Calcutta, has been BBC's India correspondent for 22 years, and awarded a knighthood in the British Queen's New Year's honours list in 2001;
- Mr. Doudou Diene, special rapporteur to the U.N. on racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance and director of intercultural, inter-religious dialogue and peace culture at UNESCO;
- Dr. Marc Luyckx Ghisi, a theologian, researcher in global cultural transformation; previously advisor to the presidents Delors and Santer at the European Commission;
- Dr. Vishakha N. Desai, President, Asia Society, New York USA; and
- Mr. Julian Lines, currently chairperson of the Auroville International Association.
Former members of the International Advisory Council are:
- Prof. Michael Murphy, California USA, co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Esalen Institute and author of four novels.
- Ms. Mary E. King, President Global Action, Inc., Washington
- Dr. A.T. Aryaratne, President Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement, Sri Lanka ;
- Mr. Kireet Joshi;
- Prof. Diana Eck, Professor of Comparative Religion and Indian Studies at Harvard University ;
- Prof. Norman Myers, CMG, environmentalist;
- Prof. Amartya Sen, Indian Nobel laureate and economist;
- Mr. Maurice Strong, former Secretary-General UNCED;
- Dr. Ervin Laszlo, Director World Future;
- the late Mr. J.R.D. Tata, foremost Indian industrialist;
- Snr. Federico Mayor, Director General of UNESCO;
- Mr. Bertrand Schneider, Secretary General of the Club of Rome;
- Mrs. Hanne Strong, President Manitou Foundation;
- late Mr. Nani Palkhivala, eminent Indian lawyer.
Resources and articles
- Auroville International
- Deepti Tewari
- AuroAnnam was developed in the late nineties as a program under the Auroville Health Centre focussing on eco-farming and issues of municipal waste management.
- Inner Traditions
- Robert Lawlor - cofounder
- Aviram Rozin