Keith H. Kerr
Brig. Gen. Keith H. Kerr, U.S. Army (Ret.), "among the most senior uniformed officers to criticize the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy for homosexuals in the military, disclosed" in December 2003 that he is gay, agreeing that "the policy had been ineffective and undermined the military's core values: truth, honor, dignity, respect and integrity."
"General Kerr, who retired from the California State Military Reserves in 1995 after 31 years in the Army and the Reserves, primarily with intelligence groups, said it had taken a long time for him to decide to come out. 'The culture of the military is that you go along and conform,' he said. 'And you keep your private life to yourself'."
On November 11, 2007, General Kerr became a National Co-Chair for 2008 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. Kerr was among the more than forty "notable" military veterans who endorsed Clinton.
Related SourceWatch articles
- John Files, "Gay Ex-Officers Say 'Don't Ask' Doesn't Work," (Common Dreams), December 10, 2003.
- News Release: "Prominent Veterans Endorse Hillary Clinton. Hillary Hosts Veterans Event In Iowa With General Eaton, Campaign Launches New Veterans Web Video," HillaryClinton.com, November 11, 2007.
- John Crea, "Gay generals come out against military ban. Retired officers recall career in the closet,"+ Washington Blade, December 19, 2003.
- News Release: "As War Continues, Gay Discharges Plummet to Lowest Level Since 1995; Report Details Experiences of Gay Soldiers in Middle East," Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (Common Dreams), March 24, 2004.
- News Release: "148 Military Brass and Veteran Luminaries Endorse John Kerry for Commander-in-Chief. Kerry Edwards Campaign Announces Veterans National Steering Committee," Kerry-Edwards (George Washington University), September 15, 2004.
- Doreen Brandt, "Move To Repeal Gay Military Ban Gains Support From Retired Brass," 365Gay.com, March 2, 2005.
- "Clinton launches LGBT steering committee," PlanetOut, June 27, 2007.
- Taylor Marsh, "General Punks GOP & CNN," TaylorMarsh.com, November 28, 2007.
- Jonathan Stein, "Hillary Clinton's NEW Plant Problem (It's CNN's Problem, Too)," MoJoBlog, November 28, 2007.
- "Fact Check: General Kerr and the YouTube Debate," The Fact Hub/Hillary Hub, November 29, 2007.
- About: BG Keith H. Kerr, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network Military Advisory Council.