UK Coal Generation Assets
- Cockenzie Power Station located in Prestopans, East Lothian. It comprises two units and has an installed capacity of 1,152 megawatts; and
- Longannet Power Station located in Kincardine-on-Forth, Fife. It comprises four units and has an installed capacity of 2,304 megawatts.
Proposed coal plant closures
In October 2011, it was reported that half of Britain's stations, representing 8pc of Britain's capacity, are likely to shut because they will have been burning fuel for too many hours – more than 20,000 in total since 2008, which is the maximum allowed by the European Union Large Combustion Plant Directive. New Government estimates show the Cockenzie Power Station is likely to have to close completely by April 2012.
Articles and Resources
- "Investor Relations: Iberdrola", Scottish Power website, accessed June 2008.
- CoalPro, "UK", World Coal Institute website, accessed June 2008.
- United Kingdom Quality Ash Association, "Power Station Locations and Capacities", undated but after 2006, accessed June 2008.
- Mott MacDonald, "UK Coal Production Outlook: 2004-16", Department of Trade and Industry website, Final Report March 2004. See Appendix E: UK Coal Power Stations, page E-1 at the end of the report.
- Rowena Mason, "UK coal power stations set to close up to four years early" The Telegraph, Sep. 30, 2011.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Advanced Power Technology Forum
- British Coal Utilisation Research Association
- Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform
- UK Coal
- Coal Authority (UK)
- Department of Trade and Industry (UK)
- Scottish Coal
- British Geological Survey
- European Union Large Combustion Plant Directive
- United Kingdom and coal
- Very low sulphur coal
- Charles Miller Smith - former chair
- Ian Robinson - former chief executive (1995-2001)
- Ian Russell - former chief executive (2001=6)
- Philip Bowman - former chief executive (2006-7)
- Nick Horler - former CEO
- Donald Brydon - former board member
- Peter Hickson - former board member
- Nick Rose (UK) - former board member
- David Nish - former board member
- Simon Lowth - former Finance Director
- Keith Cochrane
- Ronnie Mercer
- Mike Kinski
- Willie MacDiarmid
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|