Conservative Partnership Institute
CPI describes its purpose as "providing a platform for citizen leaders, the conservative movement, Members of Congress, congressional staff and scholars to be connected. The organization works to provide these leaders with the tools, tactics, resources and strategies to help make them successful in advancing conservative policy solutions."
- 1 News and Controversies
- 2 Ties to the Council for National Policy
- 3 Ties to the Bradley Foundation
- 4 Funding
- 5 Core Financials
- 6 Personnel
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Articles and Resources
- 9 References
News and Controversies
Former Trump Adviser Cleta Mitchell Joins CPI
Lawyer Cleta Mitchell joined CPI as a senior legal fellow and is planning to use her role to "coordinate" conservative voting positions, including in opposition to Democrat-led H.R.1, an elections reform bill that would undo Voter ID laws, support mail-in ballots, and enact automatic voter registration.
Former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows Joins CPI
Former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows joined the Conservative Partnership Institute in January 2021. Meadows will "operate behind the scenes to help create more members [of Congress] like Jim Jordan, Ted Cruz, and Josh Hawley– conservative firebrands with strong networks and staffs."
DeMint Will Work with Other Right-Wing Organizations to Implement "The Conservative Agenda"
CPI was founded by Jim DeMint, former South Carolina senator and former president of the Heritage Foundation. DeMint was "ousted in May  after internal disputes over Heritage's mission." DeMint said CPI would work with "other right-leaning organization, citing a common goal of 'the conservative agenda' as Republicans in Congress struggle to form consensus around marquee campaign issues, such as health care"
Ties to the Millennial Debt Foundation
CPI employees Rachel Bovard and Jim DeMint are both senior advisors at the Millennial Debt Foundation.
Ties to the Council for National Policy
CPI's Senior Director of Policy, Rachel Bovard, is a member of the Council for National Policy and Cleta Mitchell is a Board of Governors member as of September 2020. CPI's founding chairman, Jim DeMint, is a member of CNP and served on the organization's Executive Committee as of 2020.
|Council for National Policy|
The Council for National Policy (CNP) is a secretive, Christian Right organization of funders and activists founded in 1981 by activist Morton Blackwell, commentator Paul Weyrich, direct-mail pioneer Richard Viguerie, right-wing activist Phyllis Schlafly and Left Behind author Tim LaHaye. Anne Nelson's book about CNP, Shadow Network: Media, Money, and the Secret Hub of the Radical Right, describes how the organization connects "the manpower and media of the Christian right with the finances of Western plutocrats and the strategy of right-wing Republican political operatives.”
CNP membership as of September 2020 is available here.
Ties to the Bradley Foundation
In 2017, the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD), publishers of SourceWatch, launched a series of articles on the Milwaukee-based Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, exposing the inner-workings of one of America's largest right-wing foundations. 56,000 previously undisclosed documents laid bare the Bradley Foundation's highly politicized agenda. CMD detailed Bradley's efforts to map and measure right wing infrastructure nationwide, including by dismantling and defunding unions to impact state elections; bankrolling discredited spin doctor Richard Berman and his many front groups; and more.
The Conservative Partnership Institute is not required to disclose its funders but major foundation supporters can be found through their IRS filings. Here are some known contributors:
- CB Foundation: $25,000 (2017)
- Charles L. Shor Foundation for Epilepsy Research: $2,500 (2017)
- Chicago Community Trust: $200,000 (2018-2019)
- Colbert Foundation: $12,500 (2017)
- DonorsTrust: $732,500 (2018-2020)
- Ed Uihlein Family Foundation: $2,250,000 (2018-2020)
- Goldman Sachs Charitable Gift Fund: $20,000 (2019)
- Hamlin Family Foundation: $5,000 (2017)
- James F. Causley, Jr. Family Foundation: $5,000 (2018)
- Lazof Family Foundation, $2,500 (2018)
- Leandro P.Rizzuto Foundation: $100,000 (2020)
- Liptak Family Foundation: $25,000 (2020)
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation: $200,000 (2018-2019)
- Middlemas Family Foundation: $5,000 (2017)
- National Charitable Christian Foundation: $55,000 (2017)
- National Philanthropic Trust: $100,000 (2018)
- Robert S. and Star Pepper Foundation: $40,000 (2018)
- Servant Foundation: $11,000 (2019)
- Stanley E Fulton Family Foundation: $500,000 (2019)
- Thirteen Foundation: $10,000 (2020)
- W. L. Amos, Sr. Foundation: $50,000 (2017)
- Woodford Foundation for Limited Government: $1,000 (2018)
- Total Revenue: $5,322,860
- Total Expenses: $5,168,958
- Net Assets: $1,143,614
- Total Revenue: $4,328,406
- Total Expenses: $4,220,955
- Net Assets: $925,080
- Total Revenue: $1.787,723
- Total Expenses: $995,069
- Net Assets: $792,654
As of December 2021:
- Jim DeMint, Chairman
- Mark Meadows, Senior Partner
- Ed Corrigan, President & CEO
- Cleta Mitchell, Senior Legal Fellow and chairs CPI’s Election Integrity Network
- Wesley Denton, Chief Operating Officer
- Rachel Bovard, Senior Director of Policy
- Cameron Seward, General Counsel & Director of Operations
- Doug Stamps, Counselor to the Chairman
- Richard McAdams, Regional Director
- Jeffrey Trimbath, Senior Advisor & Director of Legacy Society
- Phil Reboli, Director of Government Affairs
- Kali Kountoupis, Events Coordinator
- Jacqueline Fowler, Senior Coordinator for Development
- Mimi Singleton, Government Affairs Coordinator
- Tiffany Coutris, Associate Producer
- Lauren Kaylor, Government Affairs Coordinator
- Jeremy Crane, Policy Outreach Coordinator & Press Assistant
- Sallie Taylor, Event Coordinator
Board of Directors
As of December 2019:
- James DeMint, Chairman
- Edward Corrigan, Executive Director
- Wesley Denton, Senior Director for Communications and Operations
- Tom Jones
- Charlotte Davis
- Gaston Mooney
- Bret Bernhardt, Treasurer
Conservative Partnership Institute
300 Independence Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20003
Articles and Resources
- Contributions of the Bradley Foundation
- Council for National Policy
- Donald Trump
- DonorsTrust and Donors Capital Fund Grant Recipients
- Ed Uihlein Family Foundation
- Forge Leadership Network
- Heritage Foundation
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation
- Millennial Debt Foundation
- SPN Members
- State Policy Network
IRS Form 990 Filings
- Jake Lahut, "DeMint launches new group to boost conservatives in Washington", Politico, July 25, 2017, accessed February 25, 2021.
- Conservative Partnership Institute, About, organizational website, accessed February 25, 2021.
- Nicholas Riccardi, "Former Trump adviser takes prominent role in voting battle", AP News, March 28, 2021, accessed March 30, 2021.
- Alayna Treene, Scoop: Mark Meadows' new gig, Axios, January 27, 2021, accessed February 26, 2021.
- Conservative Partnership Institute, 2019 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, November 16, 2020.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Conservative Partnership Institute, 2017 IRS Form 990, November 15, 2018.
- Conservative Partnership Institute, Staff, organizational website, accessed December 2021.