COP14 side events are a wide variety of discussions supplementary to the main negotiations, organized by the United Nations, world governments, industry groups, researchers and non-governmental organizations. The December 2008 COP14 meeting in Poznan, Poland is the 14th "Conference of the Parties" of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). 
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin publishes a daily bulletin, "On The Side," which describes selected side events.
Side events by topic
- December 2, 2008 - "Debating nuclear and climate change," presented by the European Nuclear Society (Edouard Hourcade); "Pro and cons characters will intervene during the speech to present their vision," states the event description.  Presenters represented the European Nuclear Society Young Generation Network (ENS YGN), FORATOM, International Youth Nuclear Congress, the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), European Nuclear Society (ENS) and University of Zagreb. 
- December 3, 2008 - "Nuclear energy," presented by the World Nuclear Association (Jonathan Cobb); "Nuclear energy will be a key component of international efforts to tackle climate change and meet the world's growing demand for clean and reliable energy," states the event description 
- December 4, 2008 - "Mitigation: shipping and nuclear energy emissions," presented by the International Maritime Organization (Eivind Vagslid); "The role of nuclear energy and the possibilities for reduction of maritime emissions," states the event description 
- December 2, 2008 - "Critical Analysis of REDD," presented by Friends of the Earth International; This event "provided a review of the concept of reduced emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD), and gave several indigenous peoples and non-governmental organizations the opportunity to discuss the potential pitfalls of this concept," including REDD's impact on "indigenous peoples' rights to their traditional territories." 
- December 2, 2008 - "How REDD Policy Options Interact with Forest Measuring and Monitoring," presented by Woods Hole Research Center; This event "discussed how policy options for reduced emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD) relate to forest measuring and monitoring needs." 
- December 4, 2008 - "UN System Response to REDD," presented by the United Nations; This event "brought together several agencies and organizations to discuss reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD), including its related policy and programme architecture, coordination, and funding. It described the UN-REDD Programme, which was developed as a result of the Bali climate negotiations and was launched on 24 September 2008." 
- December 6, 2008 - "REDD for Rural Development," presented by Regional Community Forestry Training Center for Asia and the Pacific and The Center for International Forestry Research; This event will "advance the proposition that REDD can offer more than climate change mitigation benefits. If developed properly, it will provide a vital opportunity to improve the wellbeing of millions of rural people." 
- December 6, 2008 - "The Business Case for REDD: Biodiversity Benefits," presented by the CBD Secretariat. 
- December 11, 2008 - "Initiative for an IRENA," or International Agency for Renewable Energies, presented by the governments of Germany, Denmark and Spain, with representatives from Poland, India and Ethiopia. The event was called to stress "the urgent need for an international governmental organisation promoting renewable energy worldwide." The IRENA founding conference is planned for January 26, 2009 in Bonn, Germany. 
Side events by date
- "Events Convened on Monday, 1 December 2008"
- Responding to the GCOS Implementation Plan, Presented by the Government of Ireland
- Analyzing Adaptation: a Financial and Risk Perspective, Presented by Free University Amsterdam, Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM)
- China's Emissions: Energy Research and Policy Perspectives, Presented by the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) and Sussex Energy Group
- "Events Convened on Tuesday, 2 December 2008"
- Critical Analysis of REDD, Presented by Friends of the Earth International
- Short-Lived Arctic Climate Forcers: Avoiding Arctic Tipping Points, Presented by the Climate Policy Center and Government of Norway
- How REDD Policy Options Interact with Forest Measuring and Monitoring, Presented by the Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC)
- From Vulnerability to Resilience: the Integration of Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation, Presented by Practical Action
- Principles and Procedures for Technology Transfer Mechanisms under the UNFCCC, Presented by the Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL)
- Key Issues for Poznan, Presented by the Third World Network
- "Events Convened on Wednesday, 3 December 2008"
- The New Energy Revolution, Presented by Greenpeace International
- The GEF Experience in Financing Technology Transfer, Presented by the Global Environment Facility
- Mitigation in Agriculture and Rural Areas, Presented by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Community-Based Adaptation: Small is Beautiful, CARE International Foundation
- Local Mitigation and Adaptation Measures of Indigenous Peoples, Presented by Tebtebba Foundation
- "Events Convened on Thursday, 4 December 2008 "
- Supporting technology finance, deployment and innovation in developing countries, Presented by Natural Resources Defense Council and E3G
- Opportunities and Challenges for a US Cap and Trade Programme, Presented by the U.S. German Marshall Fund
- UN System Response to REDD, Presented by the United Nations
- Business views on US carbon markets and clean tech, Presented by the Business Council for Sustainable Energy
- Adaptation Experiences Across Sectors and Scales, Presented by the United Nations Development Programme
- An Actionable Guide: Investing in a Well-Prepared Society, Presented by Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future
- "Events Convened on Friday, 5 December 2008"
- Our Future in a Changed Climate: Adaptation and Decision-Making, Presented by the Stockholm Environment Institute
- Strategic Framework for Forests and Climate Change, Presented by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN
- Intergenerational Inquiry on Climate Solutions, Presented by the UN Joint Programme Framework on Children, Youth and Climate Change
- Measuring the Effectiveness of Adaptation: Implications for Climate Negotiations, Presented by the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies
- A Post-2012 Technology and Finance Framework, Presented by the Energy Research Center of the Netherlands, ICTSD and University of Sussex
- "Events Convened on Monday, 8 December 2008"
- Trade and Investment Policy, Technology Transfer and Climate Change, Presented by the International Institute for Sustainable Development and Chatham House
- UN Led Initiatives on Climate Change Capacity Building and Development, Presented by the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- Climate-Induced Human Displacement and Migration, Presented by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- The UN-China Climate Change Partnership, Presented by China and UNDP
- "Events Convened on Tuesday, 9 December 2008"
- "Events Convened on Wednesday, 10 December 2008"
- Global Energy Assessment, Presented by IIASA and the UN Foundation
- Financial Options and Architecture for Climate Change, Presented by UNEP and the World Bank
- Climate Change and the Risk of Hunger, Presented by the World Food Programme
- Energy Efficiency in the Post-2012 Framework: Key Issues and Challenges, Presented by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Climate Action Under a New U.S. Administration, Presented by the Pew Center on Global Climate Change
- Business for Climate Protection, Presented by the Federation of German Industries
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Accra Climate Change Talks 2008
- Accra Climate Change Talks 2008/Side Events
- COP15/Side Events
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, "COP14", United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change website, accessed August 2008.
- "Side events schedule," United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change website, accessed December 2008.
- "Side event: Debating nuclear and climate change (pdf)," Igor Vuković, December 2, 2008.
- "Critical Analysis of REDD", Earth Negotiations Bulletin website, accessed December 2008.
- "How REDD Policy Options Interact with Forest Measuring and Monitoring", Earth Negotiations Bulletin website, accessed December 2008.
- "UN System Response to REDD", Earth Negotiations Bulletin website, accessed December 2008.
- "REDD for Rural Development", Regional Community Forestry Training Center for Asia and the Pacific website, accessed December 2008.
- "COP 14 Side Events", Center for International Forestry Research website, accessed December 2008.
- Press release, "Promoting IRENA for a Stable Climate: Strong support for the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Poznań (pdf)," Germany, Denmark and Spain on behalf of the Initiative for an IRENA," December 11, 2008.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|